Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Werra 1 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Werra 1 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Msteen1314
Tinkerer
Username: Msteen1314

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 03:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all, I just recieved a werra 1 in pretty good condition, shutter speeds below 8th are getting slow however not a real issue at this time. I have a question regarding the film advance/shutter cocking ring, which, as those familiar with the Werra, know its on the lens barrel.The ring seems a little loose (not slack) just loose in as much as there is play. Does anyone kow how to adjust this so that it feels a little more that it is part of the camera.
Another question regarding the ring. In various posts online I hear owners saying the film advance is smooth? to me, the Werra seems more mechanical than smooth. Is this normal or is this example in need of more adjustments. Any help would be appreciated

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 29

Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had a Werra, the film advance did not strike me as being particularly smooth, rather as you describe. As to the looseness, this does not sound too serious - probably not worth trying to fix. It's a good idea to look through the lens as you operate the camera, some of these have a kind of double shutter, the main blades open as you wind on and if the secondary blades are not closing properly at this point the film can be exposed as you wind on.

Aford
Tinkerer
Username: Aford

Post Number: 82

Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Werra 1 the early olive green coloured one (1955). The shutter cocking ring does have a little free movement or wobble, I would guess about 1/2mm and there is a bit of noise as it is twisted. As John s has remarked, check that both the shutter blades are working properly as they often jam up on the black model with the Prestor RVS-750 shutter.

Msteen1314
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank guys, I feel much better. The shutter is working well and as Aford confirmed, the play is about 1/2 mm from the top of the ring to the bottom. Haven't run film through it yet but based on how the camera appears to operate, expecting good things. Thanks again

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 310

Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 06:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the cocking ring just sits on a ring on the front of the body, with a steel pin engaging in the wind mechanism under the top cover, so that sort of play sounds about right *vanishes, finds Werra, checks, yes, that's about what mine are like*. It's held in place by everything else being screwed in around it, I think.

The wind-on mech is by a pin engaging on a rack, so it will make an interesting mechanical noise.

They're lovely cameras to use (especially, apparently, if you are left handed) - happy shooting!

Msteen1314
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 09:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Adrian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration