Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Electro 35 GT Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica Electro 35 GT « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 141

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 08:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I adjusted the two rods on the bottom left side of the camera in order to cure a very long travel for the shutter release button. However, the shutter is now not opening fully. At f16 it also stays open until the film is advanced or the aperture is switched.

Do the rods have an affect on the shutter opening fully, or is this simply a case of dirty blades? (I have already flushed the shutter several times, but it still does not open fully)

The warning lights seem to be working properly and I have adjusted the rods as per the repair manual on this forum. POD is good.

Low battery perhaps?

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 151

Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can't see it being the battery but always worth starting with the simple things.

I can't see how the rods effect the shutter opening. The rods adjust the mechanism that triggers the shutter but it's only a trigger; it doesn't determine how much the shutter opens.

The shutter is held open by the electromagnet armature so maybe there's a problem with the armature allowing the shutter to partially close. Does the shutter fully open when triggered and then partially close or doesn't it open fully at all?

I can't see a connection between the aperture and the shutter staying open either. Why it should only happen at f16 beats me.

My best guess would be dirt in the shutter or on the blades or damaged blades.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 142

Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have since tried a different battery and the test light is strong.
At f16 it now closes on it's own.
However, it is still not opening fully. And no, it doesn't open and then partially close. It only opens part way.
On bulb I can physically push the blades fully open, so it isn't mechanically blocked.
I didn't think that the rods would have an effect either, but since the camera was working well until I fiddled with the rods, I thought it was worth asking.

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 152

Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could be my understanding of how the shutter is opened is wrong and maybe the rods aren't pushing the coupling arm down far enough now you've adjusted them. I guess it's worth adjusting them back to how they were to see if the problem goes away.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 145

Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried adjusting the rods some more, with no apparent effect. I didn't want to make major changes to the rod positions as this messes up the warning lights and presumably the shutter speeds.
I have also opened up the lens assembly to get a better look inside and it looks very clean. The shutter blades do not seem to be the problem, as when I push aside the armature that closes the blades, they snap open on their own.
It looks like the problem may be with one or more of the armatures sticking a little and preventing the blades from fully opening.
I have flushed the area inside and am just waiting for it to dry completely before proceding.

Juliard1
Tinkerer
Username: Juliard1

Post Number: 18

Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 02:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello There !! Its me again, the crazy camera mechanic from Africa. My technique for the Electros and Canonets is to use a small amount of very fine graphite powder applied with a camel hair brush to the shutter leaves. actuate them multiple times, even gently with a toothpick if necessary. After that I blow them out with compressed air at about 20psi. (carefully). It seems to work if the solenoids and other items are working properly.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 149

Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After flushing the shutter a couple of more times, it appears to be working properly. I also had to clean and very lightly lubricate a couple of armatures which appeared to be sticking.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration