Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss contaflex IV Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Zeiss contaflex IV « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Delvischeng
Tinkerer
Username: Delvischeng

Post Number: 13

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Zeiss Contaflex IV and it has been stored for years. Recently I took it out and tried to snap a few shots. The problem showed up. The shutter speeds from 1 sec to 1/500 sec and bulb seemed similar: After rewinding it, the shutter blades and aperture blades opened up, pressed the trigger, the shutter blades closed down immediately for all different speed selection. I looked inside from the back of the camera, the aperture closed down according to the aperture selection.
The only problem is the shutter speed. I understand the mechanism of this camera really complicated. Maybe the speed escapement malfunction or other parts break down? Please kindly advice. Thanks.

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 48

Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I worked on a Contaflex I, but I had nothing to lose. I got the camera real cheap. Here is a link to a repair manual, but if I recall it doesn't get detailed on the shutter.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/19518209/Contaflex-1to4-Service-Manual

Also, check this thread and do a search on this site with "Contaflex" as the search name.

http://www.monopix.co.uk/contaflexshutter.shtml

Good luck.

Lrsnrl
Tinkerer
Username: Lrsnrl

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you rewind a Contaflex a door pops into the
film gate, the mirror comes down, and the shutter
opens up. This is a between the lens leaf shutter
and it has to be open to see through the viewfin-
der. When you release the shutter the shutter
closes, the mirror goes up, the door goes down,
and the shutter opens and closes again for the
time it was set for so what you are seeing is
almost normal.

If the shutter speeds are off the speed governer
should be accessible from the front. Assuming you
have the Compur shutter just google "compur shut-
ter repair" and you should find lots of info.

Good luck.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration