Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ciro-flex success (and observations)... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Ciro-flex success (and observations) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Curiousart
Tinkerer
Username: Curiousart

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 06:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A few days ago I posted asking how to get the rings to unscrew out of the viewing lens barrel.

Just got 'em out...damn, that was satisfying.

For the newbies among us, I thought I'd share some info. The wise camera gurus may want to move on to something more interesting than what follows.

I had taken the advice I'd seen here and in Tomosy's book, and bought all the variously sized furniture cups I could find at the local hardware. I had one that more or less fit the back ring well. I trimmed off the raised rings that are supposed to contact the floor when used according to the manufacturer's intended use with an X-acto knife, and kind of gingerly and timidly tried to use it to remove the ring. No way.

Eventually, I decided some form of gently applied brute force was required. I attached the cup to a foot and a half long dowel I happened to have. I sheathed the lens barrel in a trimmed section of bicycle inner tube, making sure that about 1/8 inch of it crept around the front of the barrel, protecting (somewhat) the other lens.

I placed the barrel on the floor, with the inner tube protecting it from direct contact with said floor. Also, I made sure that the lens didn't make any contact whatsoever with the floor.

You can probably guess the rest. I put all my weight (or at least a pretty good amount) on the other end of the dowel, and twisted, working back and forth. In about 15 minutes, I had the whole thing disassembled, ready for cleaning and reassembly. Cool! Thanks again, Glenn, for the previous tip of drilling holes for a spanner...I'll file that one away for when I'm stuck another time.

It's also good to point out that I managed to pick up a dogmeat Ciroflex for 6 bucks on Ebay. It's serving two purposes--one, I'm trying out all of my newly learned repair techniques on first, rather than practicing on the cherry one that I really wouldn't want to mess up. Second, it's kind of like having a really thorough 3D repair manual.I goofed up on reattaching the B and T lever springs when I reassembled the Rapax shutter (the drawings in the original repair texts were a little vague when it came to springs). I was able to simply take the covers off of the other and immediately see where they were really supposed to go.

Anyhow, I'm having fun, and thanks for this great resource!

Art
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 833

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very glad you have found the 'fun element' in this hobby.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration