Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How to disassemble vivitar 135mm f2.8 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » How to disassemble vivitar 135mm f2.8 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Markk
Tinkerer
Username: Markk

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i recently picked up this lens pretty cheap. not sure if it's on fungus on one of the internal lenses, but i'd like to open it up and give it a good cleaning, but am having trouble getting it apart. i was able to remove the ring on the front of the lens but couldn't get past that. (the 55mm takumar was much easier to work with!) does anyone have any recommendations on how to take this lens apart?

thanks!

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 224

Posted on Monday, August 30, 2010 - 07:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm having similar problems with a Komine made Vivitar 135/2.8, the solution would appear to remove the grub screw on the side of the lens visible when full racked out. This should permit unscrewing the front cover holding the shade and allow access to the front optical cell. The trouble is that the front cover just won't budge. Have you managed to open it?

Tylerwebb
Tinkerer
Username: Tylerwebb

Post Number: 29

Posted on Monday, August 30, 2010 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the Komine (Serial number 28xxxxx)

I took this lens apart a few weeks back to clean out some fungus on the inner element. It was quite a pain, took me an hour or so to figure out. I set focus to minumum and took out the little screw that holds on the piece directly behind the shade. This rotates, but was very difficult to budge. I used a "Jar Opener" which is like a rubber pair of pliers sort of. Got them at my local grocery store and they have come in handy a few times for this sort of thing.

http://www.bookofjoe.com/images/2007/09/29/1hjkhjg.jpg <--like this.

I have also used "Friction Tape" which is the stuff you wrap around hockey sticks or baseball bats for instance, and can be bought very cheap at a sporting store. Wrapping this around the element will give you some more grip.

Memory a little hazy at this point, but I think there was a narrow retaining ring that was also troublesome to screw off. I'm going out of town tomorrow morning for the next few days, but if you still haven't figured it out when I get back I will take it apart again and post photo tutorial.

Good luck.

Foxtrot01
Tinkerer
Username: Foxtrot01

Posted on Friday, October 08, 2010 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi - I'm having the same problem accessing the front elements of this lens. I've loosened the set screw behind the retractable lens shield, but can't seem to make any further progress. That ring rotates freely, but doesn't seem attached to anything.

I've tried just twisting the shield/front assembly, but that doesn't seem to work.

Is there adhesive or something used on the front end of this lens?

Hai
Tinkerer
Username: Hai

Post Number: 42

Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2010 - 05:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The last two Vivitar lenses I disassembled used a lot of set screws (grub screws) to hold the parts of their lenses. Look for them...

Cj8281
Tinkerer
Username: Cj8281

Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the Vivitar 135mm ƒ2.8 #823XXX. Mine had lots of oil on the aperture blades and it was SLOW. I took it down and to the core, the base and a few small parts. The front is removed by gripping it behind the shade and unscrewing it. Mine was really tight. The lens elements (except the back one) will come out with the removal of the front element. The front element has (on mine) 2 set screws and then it is threaded on. Mind the spacers and the assembly order for easy of reassembly. If you remove the 3 screws that hold the focusing ring on, you can remove the core from the base. Also, if you remove the core or the focusing ring, you will need to reset the &#8734; on your lens. If you remove the core, you will have to disassemble the back of the lens and remove the aperture ring to reassemble the lens so it will work properly. If you don't, one of the pins that actuates the aperture will be in the wrong position and will not function properly. To remove the aperture ring, first remove the mount base, 4 silver screws in the back. I had to mount the lens in the camera and then wiggle it apart to get it out. Then carefully lift the aperture ring away from the lens. The 2 pronged piece fits over the tab that moves the aperture blades. Watch for the aperture detente ball bearing if your lens has a lot of wear as it may not stay retained in its hole. When reassembling the rear of the lens, line up the red dot on the base with the red dot on the aperture pointer.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration