Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FE problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon FE problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Logandiana
Tinkerer
Username: Logandiana

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, August 27, 2010 - 08:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a problem with my Nikon FE. When I press the shutter release the mirror raises, but the shutter doesn’t open. This is the same for all speeds. When I turn the knob to the M90 mark the mirror immediately drops back down. If I fire the shutter starting out in the M90 mode the camera seems to function as normal. (The mirror swings up, shutter opens and closes and the mirror drops back down.)
After searching the forums the two obvious responses that I have found are “put new batteries in” and “a sticky gooey mirror damper foam”. Well my mirror damper is in perfect shape as it was just recently replaced, and I just put fresh batteries in and the battery ready light glows bright. The meter works perfectly as well.
One thing I noticed that might have something to do with it. Sometimes the shutter speed selector knob gets stuck on certain speeds almost the way it feels when it’s on the AUTO selection and you have to press the lockout button to move it. It’s almost like it’s catching on something. Press the button and apply a little force and it will turn again.

I just found a factory repair manual online and I plan to open her up this next week to give the camera a good cleaning and to see if I can find anything that looks out of place. I am just wondering if anyone know any area specifically that I should look at.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration