Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35 LC junker Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Olympus 35 LC junker « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alexk
Tinkerer
Username: Alexk

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 03:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yesterday I got my hands on a junker Olympus 35 LC.

Aside from the usual dirt/dust/blurghness, it suffers from:

Cracked front top plate glass.
Someone has had a go at the lens and the assembly is seperated (i.e front ring rotates free of shutter speed ring, which in turn rotates free of aperture ring, which rotates free of distance ring)
Missing battery cover.
Won't wind on - but that may symptomatic of missing battery, or more likely, shagged lens/shutter.
Have a feeling it's been dropped on it's hot shoe.

Does anyone have an exploded view of the lens assembly? (G.Zuiko 1:1.7 42mm)
Any compatible bodies where I could source a battery cover?
The cracked front glass, I can fashion a replacement sized sheet (my father is a stained glass cutter), but what worries me is that it looks like the grey blanking (not sure of the actual term) is part of the glass. Any idea how to recreate this?

Aside from that it's minty and in ++++++++ condition lol. Wish me luck! :D

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 146

Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 07:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Regarding the glass, are you referring to the etched area of glass around the rangefinder window?
If so, you can buy acid etching paste to reproduce the same effect. You simply mask off the areas that you want to remain clear and apply a thick coat of the acid etch. After 10 minutes or so, wash off the paste and the glass underneath will be etched.
I have had some success using this method. It may not look exactly like the original, but it should come pretty close.
As an alternative you may want to try the spray on laquer that simulates frosted glass. Of course, it may scratch off, but if it doesn't look correct you can remove it with some solvent and try again.

Alexk
Tinkerer
Username: Alexk

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 07:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, that was the section I was referring to.

I had a chat with my dad and he suggested something similar. Thanks for the input.

Pearlwhite
Tinkerer
Username: Pearlwhite

Post Number: 1

Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I have just acquired LC also and seems to be in excellent condition except for one, the Aperture ring.

The camera does not have battery. so I am sure but the finger for Aperture control seems to be moving freely and stop at f8 out of f22 max.
Does yours click when you turn Aperture control ring?

Thanks much

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration