Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 Film Advance Lever Stuck Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon AE-1 Film Advance Lever Stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gapgrl685
Tinkerer
Username: Gapgrl685

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 07:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently inherited a Canon AE-1 camera and after shooting and unloading one roll of film, the film advance lever and shutter release button no longer function. I've replaced the battery and it still is not working. The shutter release button presses down, but nothing actually happens and the film advance lever moves but cannot advance anything. In addition, when you look through the view finder, it is dark.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 18

Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the mirror is locked up, it most likely is a mechanical problem, not electrical. The first thing to check is the black plastic rim that goes around the shutter speed dial on the top cover ( it goes around 90 degrees of the shutter dial). Gently try to move it. It should not pull up at all as it is held to the top cover with several heat staked plugs. If it moves up a small amount, one of the plugs has broken off and fallen into the wind mechanism. I have seen many AE-1's with this problem when the mirror is locked up.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 256

Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had similar sounding symptoms on my brought-back-from-the-dead Canon A-1. Out of several shutter releases, the winder wouldn't move and the viewfinder turned dark in a few of them.

It turns out that the reflex mirror was getting stuck at the up position. I could force it down (using the clip of a ball point pen cap to pry the mirror away from the up position), and the mirror appeared to then retract to its normal position and the camera would function again, until the mirror locked up again.

The solution in my case was a touch of a lubricant oil to the hinge of the mirror driving arm on the side of the aperture box. In A-1, while looking from the front, the hinge is on the left side wall. The camera has been working flawlessly ever since.

This may not be the exact problem in your case, but it is worth checking.

Montrosepatriot
Tinkerer
Username: Montrosepatriot

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 01:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My AE1 is doing the same - mirror is locked and the advance lever moves and is jammed. The reference to the black plastic rim - mine is separated and I do not have the tools to pull the lever off.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 64

Posted on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, you not only have to remove the wind lever, but the complete top cover and then the winding mechanism to locate the broken plastic bit (if this is the issue). Not difficult, but you need to have a light touch on some of the parts. The AE-1 top cover removal has been covered on this forum. Care is needed with the tungsten wire assembly and the one way clutch under the wind lever.

Strongtower14
Tinkerer
Username: Strongtower14

Posted on Friday, September 02, 2011 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am having similar problems. My camera is a Canon AE-1 and it was taking pictures just fine then suddenly the advance lever got jammed. I can move it half way but it will not go any farther. The sutter button still moves but does not take a picture. There is no film in the camera right now and I noticed that the rewind button on the bottom of the camera is pushed in but will not pop back out. It was working fine today until we tried to put film in it for my Photo class. I replaced the battery about an hour ago so that is not the problem. The mirror is working correctly and I can see out of the view finder. What is the problem?

Lindaingeborg
Tinkerer
Username: Lindaingeborg

Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm having yet another problem... The shutter releases when I wind the film. The shutter button itself does not work. Any idea what I can do to fix this?

Thanks!

Ismaelg
Tinkerer
Username: Ismaelg

Post Number: 90

Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 05:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lindaingeborg,

Your problem is a different one but I went thru the same a while ago.
Here is what I have learneded in this forum:
Most likely, the MG-2 magnet is not holding and it needs to be cleaned.
For that you need to open the bottom of the camera and you will see the magnet inside a plastic case. The case needs to be cut open so you can acces it. Clean the magnet contacts and it should work.
Here is a picture of how it looks like.
http://images108.fotki.com/v360/photos/4/1233394/10112829/IMGP4487-vi.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Ismael

Celsomilitao
Tinkerer
Username: Celsomilitao

Posted on Sunday, August 11, 2013 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello people! I have a similar problem with some posts. In my AE-1. when I'm winding the film to hit the shot, before reaching the end (crank) the shutter fires alone. Someone will know give me a technical guidance on the subject? Very grateful for whatever comes.

Fiftyfifty
Tinkerer
Username: Fiftyfifty

Post Number: 72

Posted on Monday, August 12, 2013 - 12:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Celsomitao
You have a problem with the same magnet as "Lindaingeborg ", in your case the magnet is not holding. You will have to clean the magnet faces, if there is a build up of dust or oil on the surface the magnet will not hold so it self trips.
Good luck
Doug

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration