Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta shutter and mirror stuck Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta shutter and mirror stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Meowzedong
Tinkerer
Username: Meowzedong

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 03, 2010 - 02:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Minolta XG1 that I've had for nearly a year. Recently, I was taking a photo and the mirror never came back down and the shutter never closed. It won't advance, the light meter is not working and I am rather frustrated. I have new batteries in it, and the battery check light does come on. When in self-timer mode, the light will blink but nothing happens. I want to know if there is anything I can do, or if it is something that only a repairman can take care of.

Thanks!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mikeb
Tinkerer
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 03, 2010 - 03:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your problem is all due to the shutter. Once it closes the mirror will come down, the meter will work, you will be able to wind it, etc.
The way these cameras work is there are two shutter curtains. When one shutter is opening the other is closing. The gap between the two is the exposure.
You say the shutter is stuck open so it sounds like the second curtain didn't move for whatever reason. If you open the back of the camera and look at the shutter opening it is the curtain on the right side. The leading edge of it should be visible, if you give it a gentle poke or two with some non-sharp object like the eraser end of a pencil that might free it to do its job. If it will not move you might want to take it in to a camera shop. I imagine they can get it going with little effort, and it probsbly is due for a CLA which will help keep this from happening again.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration