Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Conley 8X10 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Conley 8X10 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nsurit
Tinkerer
Username: Nsurit

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 03, 2010 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have what I believe to be a Conley 8X10 field camera. The name plate is missing, however my research heads me in that direction. At this point my interest is in getting it to the state of being functional, rather than bringing it back to a full restored glory. My initial intention is to get a modified film holder that will allow me to do wet plate, although film might also be in the future. Here is a list of missing parts, some of which are essential and others do not keep it from functioning.

1) Carrying strap. Would be nice but not essential.

2) Name plate. No big deal.

3) Brass strips that hold the lens board in place. Replacements available? If not, what should the thickness of the metal be to fabricate a replacement?

4) Lens board.. Seems to be 5 5/8" X 5". Is this a standard size or something that needs to be custom made?

5) Three knobs. Although everything seems to work correctly, I am misssing one knob on both the front and rear standards and one on the knobs that operates the tilts on the rear standard.

I would appreciate any advice on each of these items, with the most important ones being items number 3 and 4. If anyone has any parts that would work and are available please let me know or if you can head me in the right direction to get them that would be great.

I am not interested in paying someone the big bucks to get this one up, running and restored and I don't mind spending a little to get it back to functioning.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice.

Bill Barber
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Foto_gaga
Tinkerer
Username: Foto_gaga

Post Number: 35

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 03, 2010 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, you being in TX there must be a Tandy leather shop around so they have strips of belt leather that are perfect for replacing the carrying strap or you could cut an old wide belt of your own.

I would think the brass strips would be at least 1/8th inch. You can get strips of brass made by K&S at craft shops or a well stocked hobby shop (online for sure).

If the lens board is just a plain flat thing any piece of wood cut to size will do.

Do you have any knobs to show us what they look like? Post a pic.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration