Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Lens stopping down halfway when camer... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Lens stopping down halfway when camera cocked « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Logandiana
Tinkerer
Username: Logandiana

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 03, 2010 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I could be wrong but this is the way I thought the whole process worked. Aperture is wide open allowing the most light possible to reach the meter. Press the shutter and the lens stops down to whatever you have it set at. Mirror swings up. Shutter opens and closes. Mirror swings back down. Lens returns to wide open. This is correct isn’t it?
So I picked up a Nikon FG the other day and everything seems to work well with it as far as shutter speeds go. The camera looks to be in almost brand new condition with the exception of the following process which I noticed this when I looked through the bright viewfinder and the meter read 1/125th or something, then I cocked the shutter and the viewfinder was darker and now read 1/30th.
Aperture is wide open allowing the most light possible to reach the lens. Cock the film advance lever and the lens stops down about halfway or so depending on what the lens set to. Press the shutter and the lens stops down the rest of the way to whatever you have it set at. Mirror swings up. Shutter opens and closes. Mirror swings back down. Lens returns to wide open.

I’ve only tried this with one lens, a 50mm 1.8.
Is this a problem with the camera or the lens. Either way how would I fix it?

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 31

Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had the same problem with the similar FG20. Remove the lens and note the lever on the left hand side which controls the lens aperture. As you operate the film advance, do you see the lever move downwards at all, even just a little? It's this slight movement which seems to partly stop down the lens. Obviously when you press the shutter the lever moves fully downwards to close down to the shooting aperture. The problem is that the exposures will be incorrect. Mine was worse with some lenses than others, the only solution I found was when fitting the lens, turn it all the way to the left but don't allow it to turn back slightly and click into place - the very small difference seemed to prevent the premature stopping down somewhat.

Logandiana
Tinkerer
Username: Logandiana

Post Number: 10

Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 08:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes that's exactly what's happening. So I guess it's the camera! It seems like everytime I get one of these old cameras there's always something wrong, no matter what condition it appears to be in.
So besides not installing lenses completely what's the fix for this problem?

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 32

Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess there's no quick fix, this wopuld be an internal mechanical issue needing expert attention. Sorry to hear you have had a bad run of luck with old cameras.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration