Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleicord Compur Shutter Issues Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Rolleicord Compur Shutter Issues « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nickant
Tinkerer
Username: Nickant

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 06, 2010 - 01:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all.
My first purchase of a TLR is a Rolleicord IIc received today.
It looks to be in very good shape but sadly the shutter has issues.
It is a Compur shutter with a top speed of 1/500.
The shutter fires at all set speeds, but with almost no variation.
There is additional resistance at 1/500 at both shutter speed lever and cocking lever, but once moved down to 1/250 through to 1 sec the speed is a little slower but the same throughout.
I suspect the booster spring may be at fault but I don't know enough to be sure.
The B setting works perfectly.
I was hoping that this long unused camera would loosen up after a few dozen firings but not so far.
Any ideas?

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 52

Posted on Monday, September 06, 2010 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shutters are always "tight" going onto the 1/500th mark. The rest of the problem can be solved by cleaning the shutter.

Dirbel
Tinkerer
Username: Dirbel

Post Number: 38

Posted on Monday, September 06, 2010 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This sounds like the speed governor does not work. In a leaf shutter all speeds except the top speed (or top two, if there is a booster spring) and B are controlled by this mechanism.
I had this on a Rolleicord IId, a pair of gears that was originally crimped together had lost connection.

So your problem might be that things are already too loose...

Ciao,

Dirk

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1107

Posted on Monday, September 06, 2010 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chances are 99% that the clockwork just needs cleaning. There are some hints here, as well as on other websites: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-55.html

Nickant
Tinkerer
Username: Nickant

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I spent an hour this morning cocking-firing-re-cocking the shutter, and also moving it from 1/500 sec down to 1 sec and back up,
Some minor success (?) - the shutter now fires: -correctly at 1/250
-on 1/100 it opens then clicks to shut but stays open 3 out of 4 goes.
-at speeds 1/50 and below it opens then a second click is heard at about the right time but it stays open
-at B it now stays open!
Is this better or worse?
Would cleaning with lighter fluid do the trick?
Rick - thank you for your diagram, but I'm a noob and unsure how to proceed.

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 50

Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Rolleicord II Model 1 had a similar issue. It was very slow on the low speeds, but pretty good on the faster ones. I got a lot of information from Rick's website and found this one helpful as well.

http://www.pbase.com/raynerj/repair

A cleaning with lighter fluid, q-tips, an artists brush and an air blower did the trick. A 1 second exposure is now very close to 1 second, whereas it had been about 3.5 seconds.

Take photos as you go and read a lot of the links on this site. There are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful folks that frequent this site. Personally, I am getting more confidence on each one I tackle.

Good luck and keep us posted. Those early Rolleicords are fun to use.

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 175

Posted on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 08:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nickant,
you may also want to read my description on how Copal shutters work in this thread here:
https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/2/19153.html?1281461416
I know you have a Compur, the principle of operation is the same, even most of the components look similar enough to understand 1:1. The main difference between compur and copal is in how the cocking-releasing part is built.

In general: better clean it.

Marek

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration