Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Damper Foam /Mirror replace and Clean Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Damper Foam /Mirror replace and Clean « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David_ritchie
Tinkerer
Username: David_ritchie

Post Number: 55

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am in the process of replacing the damper foam for the mirror on a Nikon FE-2. The light use of a Q Tip changing ends after each pass and using many Q Tips, has removed most of the gum from the mirror with no apparent damage to the surface. However, there is still a slight scum of the urethane on the bottom edge of the mirror and I wonder if anyone has a suggestion on how to proceed. Would a Q Tip wet with a little lighter fluid be the next step?

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 153

Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use isopropyl alcohol to remove the sticky stuff. You'll be left with a sort of water mark but that can be removed with non-alcoholic spectacles cleaner.

David_ritchie
Tinkerer
Username: David_ritchie

Post Number: 56

Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Monopix, this is what Jon Goodman also passed along to me.He suggested also to remove the last bit of any streaks, to breathe fog on the mirror and wipe gently with a microfiber or very soft cloth.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration