Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XG-1 Film advance broken? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta XG-1 Film advance broken? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Blua
Tinkerer
Username: Blua

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay so I'm new to this thread but I have a question about my Minolta XG-1.
Today I decided to take some photos and the film advance was working completely fine. However then when I went to take the 4th photo I noticed that the advancer felt really lose. Like It didn't feel like it was gripping anything. Then I obviously couldn't take a photo.
Is this problem fixable? I was thinking about taking to this repair shop in my town. Would it be expensive to get fixed?

Mikeb
Tinkerer
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 8

Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 02:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This sounds like it could be the same problem I have seen posted by others. The diagnosis was that the winder wasn't reaching the end of its stroke. Even though it felt like it couldn't be wound more, they found that a little extra push (I hesitate to use the word "force" but that's what it was) on the winding lever was what was needed. You might give it a try, just be reasonable with the amount of extra force you apply.
As for having it fixed versus buying another, these days you can buy replacement bodies on eBay for a fraction of the price of having one serviced. The problem is that there is a lot of junk being sold and it's impossible to tell what you are getting until it is in your hands. If instead you have your XG-1 serviced you can be fairly sure that it will be good-to-go for many years.

Blua
Tinkerer
Username: Blua

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 03:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay this is going to sound weird but I got it to magically work!
My friend was playing with it and he said how it got it to work. So then I went to try to play with it and it really did work.
So I'm guessing he used a little more force like you suggested.
And really? That's interesting. I mean I did find a camera repair shop and I tried calling but I only got a machine. I did call kinda late though.
But thanks for the information you provided me :-)

Reagan
Tinkerer
Username: Reagan

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 09:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was cleaning my Minolta XG-1 yesterday and I wasn't thinking, so I lifted on the "Self Timer/Off/On/B.C." dial and it broke. Now, it turns much too easily and lifts completely away from the camera. The Battery Check Light does not light up like it did before, either. I never even got to use my camera. Can someone please tell me if I'm able to repair it?! (I've attached photos so you can see the dial.) Thanks!Photos of the broken dial.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration