Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Asahi Pentax S1a Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Asahi Pentax S1a « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 155

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an S1a and the shutter curtain has come off of its spool.
I have downloaded the repair manual for the S3, which is nearly identical, but I am looking for some advice on the best way to procede.
Obviously I want to avoid any extra disassembly. Can I remove the curtain and related parts by just working from the bottom? Or, do I need to disassemble the entire camera?

Any help would be appreciated.

Upnorthw
Tinkerer
Username: Upnorthw

Post Number: 17

Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 06:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You will need to pull the mirror box. It's very tight but it can be done after that. The tapes are what usually break.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 161

Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2010 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have re-attached the curtain, but now I am having a couple of other problems.
First, the curtains are travelling without a slit. I have made the adjustments that the repair manual suggests in the trouble shooting section, but to no avail. I have adjusted curtain tension and lubricated as well.
Any suggestions?
Second, the mirror flips up when the shutter release is pressed, but the shutter does not operate. When the button is pressed a second time, the shutter works (with no slit, of course). I can get the shutter to function on the first press, but only when I very carefully wind the film advance to just slightly before it stops. Again, I have made the adjustments as recommended in the repair manual.
Any ideas on this one?

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 173

Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, after much trial and error, I now have the shutter working properly on this camera. However, the shutter speeds seem slow towards the high end.
The manual says to adjust 1/125th and 1/60th first, which I have done. The higher end speeds (1/1000th, 1/500th) are a stop slow however.
Any advice?
Is there any simple way to measure the curtain travel time, as this is the only thing in the manual that I am unable to check.

Ron_g
Tinkerer
Username: Ron_g

Post Number: 50

Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 02:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do a search on Mareklews posts,he goes into great detail on calculating shutter speeds using the soundcard based shutter tester.Specifically and especially at higher speeds the rise and fall times of the waveform have to be taken into account in your measurement.That alone will make a big change in your indicated shutter speed.Ron G

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration