Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Hmmm..... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Hmmm..... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Magkelly
Tinkerer
Username: Magkelly

Post Number: 14

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 04:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mission accomplished? Well, maybe at least partly. I just attempted my first light seal replacement job on the Yashica FRI. When it's dry I'll take some pics and let the experts here tell me if I botched it or not. I don't think so, looks good, but being as I've never done one before I could use a spot check if you guys wouldn't mind? I'll go shoot a roll after that and see too. Didn't go after the counter. I'm not quite there yet. I want to read that book first and I can live without that for a while.

Question, and here's the rub because maybe I just did all that work for nothing, when I was putting the two little pieces of foam in the shutter area I noticed that the top mirror which I believe is actually the viewing screen bottom has a scratched area on one side.

Now, it doesn't really show up except under very bright light. I didn't even notice it till I shined one right up in there. I don't notice it when I am looking through the viewer in normal light at all can't see it unless I really look with a bright light, but under that light it is reflected just a bit in the shutter mirror below.

Anyone know how much it will affect any pics I take? Does this mean the camera is useless unless it gets a new one? If something from the viewer is reflected on the mirror just a tiny bit does that mean it's going to be on the negatives too?

Probably a dumb newbie question, but I'm really not sure. I'm pretty new to old SLR's and changeable lenses remember. You can barely see it, but still, it is scratched. I know you can replace these screens but again I'm not sure how or if it's even worth it at this point. If the screen and the counter are both shot that's quite a bit of repair work on a discontinued brand of camera that you'd probably have trouble getting parts for anyway, no? Just getting it cleaned and the counter fixed looked like it was going to run me almost twice what the camera did.

The outside of the camera is just beautiful, and except for the counter it does seem to function, but it's probably just not worth the repair costs if there are two things now I'm going to have to fix, right?

If a clean and reseal and fix of the counter was going to end up costing me that, I can only think that adding a screen to it would make it close to $200 at least. That's just crazy expensive for me right now. Not possible. For that $$$ I might as well buy an *ist or a 6MP Canon DSLR and be done with it though for the record I can't really afford to do that at the moment. I'm working on it, but right now, no. The 3 quoted repair estimates so far on this FRI they just made me give up the idea pretty much. If it's a total bust I guess I'll put it in a drawer with the others I guess until I have better paychecks coming in or I learn to fix them all myself.

Book's on order at the library. I think I am going to need it. Matter of necessity learning to do this for myself. I can't see me being able to own SLR's if I don't. I definitely can't afford to keep paying someone else to fix them when the break.

;P

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 156

Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 05:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't worry!

The viewing screen and mirror have no effect on the photos whatsoever. When the shutter is tripped, the mirror swings out of the way and the light travels through the lens directly to the film. The screen and mirror are only used for composing the shot.
If the scratch doesn't bother you, just forget about it and enjoy the camera!

Magkelly
Tinkerer
Username: Magkelly

Post Number: 15

Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 08:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh awesome! You just made my day with that news. I was really, really afraid I had another dud on my hands and I was ticked because I really like this one. I wouldn't trade my Pentax SPII for it, but next to that I think it's definitely going to be my favorite of the bunch.

THANKS!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration