Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Petri question Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Petri question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nparsons13
Tinkerer
Username: Nparsons13

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 07:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought a Petri 2.8 CC Super in excellent condition with the auxiliary lenses and viewfinder, clamp-on hood, and filter holder with skylight filter--everything almost as new looking as the kit my uncle gave me for high school graduation in 1959. I plan to take pictures with it, but I mainly bought it for sentimental value.

The glass is clean and clear, the focus is smooth and easy, the aperture control is smooth, and the shutter seems to be working accurately--except that the bulb setting doesn't hold the shutter open. When set on B the shutter clicks open and shut at what sounds like about 1/25 second or so.

Does this sound like something I might be able to fix easily myself without damaging the leatherette or messing up another function, or should I leave well enough alone, forget about it, and use another camera if I ever want a timed exposure?

I’ve delved into the guts of mechanical cameras a little (I won't say I've done repair), so I think I know the answer to this question, but I’d appreciate the thoughts of others with more experience.

Noel

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 33

Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know this camera, but I can't recall ever using the B setting on a camera, except for cleaning / adjusting etc. It's like self timers, which often don't work but these slight defects can bug you if you are too much of a perfectionist. Just pretend you didn't notice - I know this is not easy.

Nparsons13
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, John. That's pretty much my inclination. I should focus on how close to perfect this little camera is and try to forget this minor defect.

Noel

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 108

Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's a nice, simple camera with a good 4-element lens. You should get nice results with it. If you don't put it on a tripod for long night exposures, then don't worry about the B setting.

Otherwise, open the shutter (to where you can see the levers and gears inside, take off the shutter cam, drip a couple of drops of naptha on the levers which pivot in relation to the shutter cam position. Work the shutter's various shutter speeds between each application.

That'll do it 9 times out of 10.

Nparsons13
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, September 17, 2010 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Scott, but opening up the camera to get to the shutter mechanism directly is something I want to avoid. I understand the leatherette covering the front screws on these Petris is delicate and comes off in shreds. I was hoping someone might know of a way to loosen up the bulb setting without major surgery.

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 109

Posted on Friday, September 17, 2010 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you don't want to open it up, then my advice is to just live with it. There's no way to fix it without opening the shutter (which actually does not require removing the leatherette). The shutter can stay on the camera, you just have to open the front face of it.

With vintage cameras, you sometimes have to decide whether you want to have a pretty mint-condition camera to display on a shelf, or a camera that you can actually use (but might have to repair, risk damaging the leatherette, etc.)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration