Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rollei 35 Questions Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Rollei 35 Questions « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nomad
Tinkerer
Username: Nomad

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 02:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an original Rollei 35 winging its way to me, which will need some work done to it. From what I can tell, it is missing the lens release button on the top plate, and the the leatherette needs glued back on.

The part numbers for the lens release are...

button: 19624.00.0 (actually a screw)
or: 19675.00.0 (gold plated version?)
washer: 10264.82.0
spring: 19623.00.0

Are there any sources for spares (I'm in the UK)? Failing that, can anyone tell me what size the screw thread is? (I have a small lathe, and could possibly make a replacement button.)

Regarding the leatherette, what's a good glue to use that's readily available in the UK?

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 40

Posted on Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
If you need Rollei 35 parts, I have many of the common bits, including the release button and spring that you mentioned. Please PM me and I can help.
Bill

Nomad
Tinkerer
Username: Nomad

Post Number: 7

Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 01:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the offer, Bill, but I think I'll be holding back for a while. The camera has arrived, and is in a bit of a sorry state. When I got it, the shutter was opening, but not closing, the aperture seemed to be fixed at around f4 to f5.6, the meter didn't work, and the film advance wasn't working properly (took about 1.5 winds to get the shutter to cock).

I took the top off to have a look, and some wiggling seems to have gotten the meter needle to move, so maybe a poor conenction there. I also had a look at the film advance - the smaller cog that's driven by the one on the advance lever is plasic, and some of the teeth have been worn away for half of the thickness of the cog. The return spring for the advance lever wasn't working, but I managed to get this going a bit better (the fixed end of the spring was also in the wrong place - it was near the shutter bits at the upper front of the camera, instead of around the metal hook). The worn teeth don't seem to be an issue now.

While fiddling with this, it seems that the shutter has decided to not open at all now, but the mechanism inside the film chamber seems to do the open/close motion properly.

At best, I think this is going to take some time, and may not be worth the effort in the long run. Still, I also got a 35S in good, clean, working condition, and a test roll from that looks fine. It does need some attention - slow speeds are a little slow (1/2 sec feels more like a second), the little bump that the advance lever rests against is almost gone, and the meter is wildly off for 1.5V batteries. (Part of the reason for opnening the original 35 was a rehearsal prior to recalibrating the meter in the 35S.)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration