Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon SB-22 problems on Minolta X-570 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon SB-22 problems on Minolta X-570 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Trevisano
Tinkerer
Username: Trevisano

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all, I'm new to the film camera game and was hoping to get some help with what seems like a fairly simple issue.
Picked up an X-570 a while back, and just got a SB-22 flash used as well. No problems with the SLR body at all, but when I throw on the flash and press the shutter, the flash fires and the shutter remains open until I turn the flash off. This happens on both manual-focus and auto-focus modes. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 56

Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Probably using a flash dedicated to Nikon electronics with a Minolta camera that accepts only flashes dedicated to Minolta electronics.

Trevisano
Tinkerer
Username: Trevisano

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fair enough. Shame they aren't interchangeable. I assumed it would be possible but I'll have to look into getting a Minolta flash from the same era.
Any other brand of flashes that are 100% compatible with the Minolta body, or should I just look into getting a PX or X-series unit?

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 35

Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 03:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got an X370 and yes, it does the same thing with the SB22 which is a nice flash. Interesting - the electronics obviously don't agree with each other. It works OK if you tape over the "extra" small contact on the camera, leaving the larger central contact clear. Obviously there will be no TTL or flash ready dedication but it should be fine otherwise when use on manual or one of the "A" positions.

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 111

Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lots of non-Minolta flashes will work. Vivitar, Sunpak, and all the rest make multi-dedicated flashes with electronics in them for multiple cameras. You simple set the switch on some to the proper camera you are using it with. Look on the back for M P N or letters like that symbolizing Minolta/Pentax/Nikon, etc. Some don't need to be set by a switch. The Sunpak D series of flash (models like 422D, 322D, etc.) have interchangeable mounts that swap on/off so you never need a new flash, just a different "foot".

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration