Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FT QL: needle always up Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon FT QL: needle always up « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 273

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello.

I got a Canon FT QL recently. Looks quite good. I changed the seals and spruced the body up a bit.

If I understand the camera right, the needle should rest on bottom of the viewfinder (right side) and rise only after the stop meter switch is turned towards the lens mount.

However, the meter needle always rises up when the battery is in and stays there ... the meter switch has not been activated yet. It switches positions gradually as I change the shutter speed, but it doesn't really drop down in its "off" position.

When I press the meter switch towards the mount, the needle moves to a different position and behaves as if it is showing the current exposure. I can then change its position with the lens aperture or with the shutter speed ... looks quite normal in this case.

As soon as I deactivate the metering switch, the needle goes back to its unusual "high" position.

What could be wrong here?

Thanks.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 274

Posted on Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 08:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Upon further testing, it appears that the meter switch is stuck on "ON" position from inside. The lever that is pushed towards the lens moves as expected though. Any idea how to fix this?

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 275

Posted on Monday, September 27, 2010 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anybody?

Obviously the DOF preview switch must close a circuit to make the meter work normally. Is that contact located right on the DOF preview switch assembly or is it located somewhere else on the body? This could narrow down my area of search to fix this ... I am assuming that the contact is jammed closed or something like that.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration