Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Problem with Canon F-1 mirror Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Problem with Canon F-1 mirror « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jtem
Tinkerer
Username: Jtem

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

have an old Canon F-1. I used a flash coupler and flash with it for the first time yesterday and I noticed today that the mirror, while moving to a downward position when I wind for a picture, is staying up once I hit the button to take the picture. I have to wind again in order for the mirror to return to the original downward position.

The foam is in place and in good condition at the top of the mirror..so I have no idea what to do beyond that. Should I bring it to a tech or is there an easy solution?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!
I'm uploading a pictures to help show the problem.
. You can see the mirror stays at the top instead of returning to the original position when I press the button to take the picture. :-((
Mirror stuck after pressing the button for picture

Jtem
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is it in the original position. This is the position it needs to automatically return to. This is not happening; it just stays up until I wind it again.Ideal position

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 278

Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 07:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it happen at all speeds? Or does it happen only on slower speeds? Does it work initially when you resume using the camera and worsens as you continue releasing the shutter?

Jtem
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All speeds. Nope doesn't work at all. No change.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 279

Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had this problem a few times. Once it was solved by applying a tiny amount lubricating oil on the hinge of the mirror on the side of the mirror box from where the mirror is moved.

In one of my old cameras, the problem disappeared after I carefully applied grease and oil, wherever necessary, on the gears at the bottom.

But that was, I think, by luck. The real problem, at least in the few cases that I have fixed, is usually gummed up gears on the side of the mirror box. The gears there apparently are very sensitive to proper lubrication. If it dries up, it can easily cause the symptoms you describe. My solution was to apply a touch of grease and oil at appropriate place there.

I wonder if anybody else with more experience would like to comment here.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 280

Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 11:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, I just realized that in the photos you showed above, the shutter also does not close before you advance the lever. This is different from the cases I described. In those, the shutter worked properly, only the mirror failed to come down and was locking up. In your case, since the shutter is failing to close as well, it might mean there are additional problems too. Sorry I can't help you more in this.

Best of luck!

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 228

Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2010 - 03:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In any camera with a horizontal shutter (and sometimes those with a vertical shutter) when the mirror fails to return to the viewing position after the release cycle is completed, generally means only one thing; the second curtain is not releasing the latch mechanism holding the mirror in the 'up' position.

In your case it appears that the second curtain isn't running off at all?? If this is correct then there is probably some obstruction on the gear that sits on top of the second curtain shaft. To inspect it you will have to remove the top cover on the wind-on side of the camera.
If the shutter appears to function normally the next place to check is under the baseplate. You will have to remove the 2 cover plates and the tripod screw plate to get a good view of levers and latches. Don't attempt any disassembly, but there may be something obvious.

Jtem
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2010 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gez, newb question...can you describe what a "curtain" is exactly? Then I will follow your advice.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 229

Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2010 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apologies for the jargon. The shutter actually comprises 2 curtains, made either of a cloth material or in the case of the F-1 thin metal films. Look in the back and you will see them, but they are always joined by a metal bar, until the exposure is performed of course.
When the release button is pressed the first curtain runs and the second curtain is held back by the timing mechanism, this determines the exposure time. Set 1 second exposure time and look in the mirror box, after 1 sec has elapsed you should see the second curtain traverse the film plane.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration