Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 questions Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon AE-1 questions « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Amyh48
Tinkerer
Username: Amyh48

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello! I've done digital photography for a little bit but just for fun. I was just given a Canon AE-1 from my grandfather. With lenses and all. Anyway, after having some trouble trying to get it loaded because the film winder wouldn't work, i finally did and was able to get it loaded and the spool excepted it. I used up the roll and tried to get it to wind with the mechanism but I never really got back to the "S" which shows that its wound. After getting fed up, i opened the back and the film was wound up. Not sure if I'm doing that right. Anyway, when i took it to get developed, the man told me that the film was empty, there were no pictures. How is this possible when the film was accepted and then somehow was wound back into the film case? I don't really know what i'm doing and I'm wondering if it's broken? I just need some direction because the manual is not helpful. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Foto_gaga
Tinkerer
Username: Foto_gaga

Post Number: 44

Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sounds like you didn't load the film correctly. Watch the rewind knob to see if it is spinning when the film is advanced. No spin = not loaded properly.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 164

Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 08:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a similar experience with an AE-1. I did load the film correctly, but after realizing that the negatives were blank, I checked the camera. The shutter was firing, but there was no slit between the shutter curtains.
To check yours, open the back of the camera and with the lens cap removed, point it at a light source and fire the shutter. At any speed you should see the light appear briefly while peering through the back of the camera. If you don't see any light, the shutter is not opening.
To make it even easier to see, remove the lens and do the same exercise.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration