Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FTb shutter speed adjustment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon FTb shutter speed adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 165

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anyone tell me the proper procedure for adjusting the shutter speeds on this camera?
I seem to be able to get the higher shutter speeds to be correct or close to it, but the lower speeds (1/30th and slower) seem to be twice as fast as they should. What am I missing?

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 281

Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If my understanding is correct, adjustments are usually not necessary for this camera. The prime suspects are gummed up timing gears.

I know from some experience that the camera usually needs cleaning and lubrication of the shutter spindles and bushings, lubrication of some parts on the bottom and under the shutter speed dial and several shutter releases at each speed to make it work more or less properly.

This is based on my FTb in which I didn't have to do any further cleaning.

But if these steps do not fix your situation to acceptable levels (1.25 s instead of 1 s is fine), I suppose the next step would be to open the mirror cage and clean the timing gears with naphtha and see how that helps.

In any case, I don't think one should try any mechanical adjustments unless all these cleaning steps are done, for obvious reasons.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 166

Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 05:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think it is a matter of cleaning and lubing, as this has been done. What is puzzling is that the slower shutter speeds are twice as fast as they should be (measured with a shutter speed tester). I suspect this is a matter of not only the curtain tension, but also the width of the slit between the curtains. Unfortunately, I don't know how to make this adjustment.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 282

Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 06:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aha, they are faster!

The tension to the curtains is adjusted using the brass gears around the shutter spindles on the bottom (rewind side). I have never needed to do this before, so it is better if you wait for more experienced people's advice.

Good luck!

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 231

Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 03:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You need a copy of the FTb service manual. There may be free sources somewhere but I got my copy from www.lensinc.net for a very reasonable cost, fast delivery too.
Page 19 has some brief notes on how to adjust the slow speeds. There is some adjustment provision under the top cover, but you may have to pull the front panel to gain access to the slow speeds governor, cf Fig.21. If possible try and avoid that as it is quite a bit of work and the leatherette is very difficult to peel off.
PS if the fast speeds are good then the curtain speed and tension will be fine.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 283

Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 06:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a service manual that seems to have the same notes. I am not sure if this is the same as the one that Gez has, but if you would like to have it, PM me your email address and I will be glad to send you the PDF file.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 170

Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aphototaker:

Thanks for the offer. I have PM you a couple of times. Are the emails not making it through?

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 284

Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 07:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Waymel, sorry for the late reply (too many things going on in life during the last several days).

No, I didn't notice any email in my mailbox telling me about your PM. That is strange. I have had PM's before from some members. Could you try again.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 285

Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 07:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Waynemel, just in case, I have sent you a PM with my contact info. Just send me a little note via email and I will send the PDF file in the reply.

Regards.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration