Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How to open Gossen Ultra Pro case Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » How to open Gossen Ultra Pro case « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pawolf
Tinkerer
Username: Pawolf

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know how to open a Gossen Ultra Pro meter case. The inner display window is dusty or some buildup making half the display more difficult to see. I was hoping to open it up to clean it but there are no screws or any tabs or catches to indicate where to open the case.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Peter Wolf

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 60

Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On Gossens the screw holes are on the bottom but covered but little gray "dots" to make it look nicer. Usually you can remove the dots by prying u with a pin or very small jeweler screwdriver. Then it is just undo the screws. Don't touch the adjustment screw.

Pawolf
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nope no grey (or any other color)dots on the bottom, all smooth. The Ultra-Pro is black with a metal "sticker" with the accesories/exposure factor which does not come off that I can tell. There is no adjustment screw either on this unit.

Any other ideas?

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 188

Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I *don't* know how to open Ultra Pro,
however,
many Gossen products that passed through my hands, if they didn't have obvious screws, they had a plate covering them (i.e. aluminum back of Gossen Lunasix), that was glued on with non-permanent glue.
Have close look...

Marek

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 46

Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Ultra Pro has a large aluminum plate on the back covering the screws. You will need to carefully lift up this plate that is glued to the case. I very thin knife can be helpful as it is easy to bend the plate which will interfere with cosmetics when re-glued...

Pawolf
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SWEET...got the plate off and screws out, I tried to clean the display window but it is kind of fogged and won't clean up...Now struggeling to get it back together. A couple of samll ball bearings fell out of the rocker switch and can't quite figure how to get them back in and the spring clip on the other rocker...ARGGGG

Pawolf
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just needed to come back to it overnight and got it back together. Does anyone know of replacement plastic window replacement part? I emailed Gossen but no reply...

Thanks for the plate tip, what is a proper glue to use to reapply?

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 53

Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use Pliobond as it can be removed easily, but certainly a contact cement would work..

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 226

Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Usae double sideed tape so when you have to get back in it will peel off easily.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 858

Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 07:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Note -

Gossen will supply certain small parts for their 'Classic' meters for a very small handling charge - This only applies to meters that have BLACK plastic cases, the old grey cased Lunasix series is not serviced.

To use this service go to Gossen's German website, click Photography and then Service - choose 'Small Parts' from the menu and fill in the request form.

Typical parts supplied by this service are rear alloy data plates, case screws, battery 'doors' etc. I have used this service a number of times - it was completely free then! The small charge is now 6 to 12 Euro depending on items and postage - still a good service to keep a meter looking mint.

Pawolf
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a bunch, just filled in the form and hope they have the part...Thanks, again!!!

Pawolf
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Update-
I was contacted by Monfrotto and they sent the part for around $15 and the meter display now looks GOOD AS NEW!!!
Thanks all for the help!!!
MUCH appreciated!
Peter

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration