Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Viewfinder problem Yashica Electro 35 CC Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Viewfinder problem Yashica Electro 35 CC « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lucadomi
Tinkerer
Username: Lucadomi

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yesterday i got a used Yashica Electro 35 CC.
I put the battery and everything seems fine. Then I noticed there is a problem in the viewfinder. The small yellow square in the center is disappearing. Sometimes the yellow rectangular framing inside the viewfinder disappears too. Moving the camera it sounds like something is loose inside the viewfinder and when I am pointing to the sky the yellow squares comes back.
Please let me know if anyone knows if this fixable. I really like the camera that i found for pure chance.
Thank you

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 163

Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The yellow square in the viewfinder center is the beam-splitter image of the rangefinder. The diagonal beam splitter glass in the viewfinder is usually very well secured for the life of the camera and is unlikely to be at fault. From your description it is virtually certain that the primary rangefinder mirror is loose. Easy to correct when the camera top-plate is removed.

Hope this helps

Lucadomi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your response Ethostech.
As you can see I am new to rangefinder cameras and to forums too. I was at Lincoln Center to try the camera again tonight. Sometimes the yellow beam-splitter looks bright and clear and it is easy to focus and camera feels great. Some other time it is just not there. Yesterday I went to a camera repair shop in Queens, and when I was there everything seemed to be fine.I plan to go back and ask them regarding the primary rangefinder mirror. I am not confident enough to open the camera myself.
Thanks again, and I will appreciate any additional thought.

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 164

Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 04:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A pleasure, Lucadomi ....

The primary rangefinder mirror is that immediately behind the rangefinder window and is epoxied on to the flat surface of a block which rotates slightly when you focus the lens.

It would be a very simplistic repair and should cost you very little. Say - half an hour's labour - at most.

Best/

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 169

Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 07:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a thought, but are you blocking the rangefinder window with your hand when holding the camera? I have also found that the yellow double image will be very small or not visible at all while using a lens hood, as it also can block the rangefinder window.

Lucadomi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I brought the camera to CLA to a good local store on NYC. I really think that the loose mirror in the viewfinder cold be the explanation. I hope, like you said, it will not cost much. They still have to verify that. For sure they say the meter tends to overexpose, they told me. I still have to scan the negatives that I shot.
I do have big hands and I am used to larger SLR cameras, but I am pretty sure I was not putting my fingers in front of the viewfinder/rangefinder. It is definitely something to be
careful about anyway, thanks for the good suggestion.
Can't wait to get the camera back.
I appreciate the thoughtful feedback you gave.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration