Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35-S helicoid relube Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Olympus 35-S helicoid relube « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eugennmezei
Tinkerer
Username: Eugennmezei

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got an Olympus 35-S from KEH state da UG (ugly). Well... it has some issues but nothing tragic.

The long times all run, but the shutter closed so that a little hole remained. Took the front cell out so I had acces to the shutter from the front and cleanded it sufficiently so it closes now.
I also cleaned the apperture blades so they are totally dry now but they sound different when closing them as they sounded before. Maybe this was a mistake. Should I put a drop of fine machine oil on them? But then again I'm afraid it would wander to the shutter again.

The biggest issue is the dry focusing helicoid. This should be relubed, but I don't know how to get to it the _easy_ way. Did anybody worked on this camera? I hope I don't have to dissasemble the entire lens to get to the helicoid.
I know this site
http://pheugo.com/cameras/index.php?page=oly35sii
but it is too much dissasembling. I only need access to the focusing helicoid.

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 116

Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, you do it properly, you don't only need "access" to the helical threads, you need to separate the two mating parts.

Which means you would have to take the lens off of the body, separate the helical, clean out the old grease and put in new grease.

You can sometimes get a stiff helical to feel a bit looser by dripping a little naptha into the helical threads from the back-- open the film door, point the camera down, and drip the naptha around the outside of the lens assembly. Just a few drops at a time, and keep working the lens back and forth between close and infinity.

It still won't feel real smooth, but it will make it possible to focus.

Eugennmezei
Tinkerer
Username: Eugennmezei

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 02:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wish to avoid separating the lens from the body for not have to readjust focus afterwards. (I'm shure I can't do it with the same precision the factory could.)
But it seems someting in the focusing slips, so perhaps I would take it apart completly anyway. The nafta in the lens is too suspect for me, I don't want it on the glass surfaces so never tried this before.

Thuggins
Tinkerer
Username: Thuggins

Post Number: 39

Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter and aperture blades should be only lubricated with graphite - never with oil. As for the helicoid, if it is slipping at spots, and not just stiff, it most likely will have to be fully disassembled to correct.

If the rest of the camera was in great shape, it would be worth sending it to a professional to CLA (about $80 for this model, depending on who did it). If it was Ugly to begin with, not worth the expense.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration