Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Need to fix a Konica c35 EF flash, a ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Need to fix a Konica c35 EF flash, a Ricohflex modle IIIB, and a Konica s3 auto. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Xypex982
Tinkerer
Username: Xypex982

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 11:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know I am asking to fix three cameras in one thread, but these have been troubling me for a while now and I think it is time to get your help. It also doesn't help that I don't have the cash to get these repaired and got the Konica's at a thrift store and the Ricohflex for free from a friend.

So lets start with the Konica c35
It works flawlessly and I really want to use it as a party camera, but the built in flash doesn't work. When I got it from the thrift store the flash had two corroded AA batteries and even after cleaning the contacts I cant get the flash to work. I don't mind opening it and possibly breaking it, but would like the flash to work since I will need it for the settings I plan to use it with and it is a big step up from my usual fixed focus with a built in flash party camera.

Now onto the Ricohflex.
The camera came to me perfect however the taking lens was so stuck that when I finally brute forced it to move to try and break up the stuck lube and whatnot it came off. Now I know I need to recalibrate it, however I cant seem to even get a start. I know to use scotch tape or something as a ground glass on the film plane but beyond that I just cant seem to figure it out. It also doesn't help that I no matter how much I spin the taking lens I cant seem to change the focus for the ground glass.

Lastly the Konica S3 Auto
This camera was an amazing thrift store find, except that even with the battery in it the meter doesnt work. I really want to get this camera working the most since it is an amazing camera and outshines my Yashica Electro which is the size of Shaqs foot.

Xypex982
Tinkerer
Username: Xypex982

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 12:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got the c35 EF flash to work after a even harder scrubbing of the contacts :D now only two more cameras to go.

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 190

Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

About Ricohflex (or any TLR for that matter):
FIRST figure out if it needs adjustment at all.

Disclaimer: I had not taken a Ricohflex ever apart. I assume they are built similar way to Rolleiflex, Yashicamat, Rolleicord or Minolta Autocord. There wasn't much news in the world of TLRs besides changing optics and general build quality since about last glacier period.

The basic framework of a TLR was invented so, that the main optical path (taking lens -> film) does not take any adjustment. As long, as the lens is screwed solid into the shutter and the shutter solid in the lens board and no shims got lost from under the lens board the camera should be good to go.

Manufacturing tolerances were taken out at the following places:
- skewed (if 0.25mm is a skew) cage was straightened using shims under the lens board
- then the infinity focus was adjusted by the infinity stop on the focusing knob (the mechanics wasn't altered, lens wasn't shifted, usually just the knob was mounted to fit the infinity stop).
- then the viewing lens (upper lens) was adjusted to match focus with the taking lens.

It is relatively hard to check focus for a TLR. You need a good, large ground glass put on the film rails, best would be one with a split wedge in the center. Forget scotch tape - the uncertainty of its shape is much too big for the precision you need to attain. Been there, done that.

To be honest, I would test the camera by running a roll of film through it and using focusing test charts, or even a tiled floor to check focus. It's the best and most accurate way in the end.

Marek

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration