Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax MZ50-take up spool failure Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Pentax MZ50-take up spool failure « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Zucci
Tinkerer
Username: Zucci

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, new camera repair person, so please be truthful but be patient.

Before I take a chain saw to my well loved camera, that no local firm wants to know about, my Pentax MZ50 and its apparent loss of teeth on the take-up spool is baffling me. Would anybody have any idea about this?

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 47

Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Much cheaper to just replace the camera. It really does not make any economic sense to repair the MZ50 and replacing the take up spool is not normally a trivial matter..

Zucci
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 05:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

About to bin my MZ50! Any advice on an affordable classic to cut my teeth on, preferably SLR?

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 233

Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While not particularly 'classic', Canon AV-1, AE-1, and T70 are safe bets and remarkably good value.
Avoid Olympus OM10, and Pentax ME/ME-Super as they have wind-on problems.

Zucci
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that, sounds like a good place to start.

Steve_roberts
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_roberts

Post Number: 53

Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 05:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As your existing camera is a Pentax, perhaps an older Pentax is the way to go for an affordable classic? How about one of the many Spotmatics or a KM/KX if you prefer a bayonet mount?
Not sure about Brcamera's comment regarding the economic sense of repairing your camera. Whilst he's undoubtedly correct, by that yardstick we wouldn't end up trying to repair most of the cameras mentioned on this forum! With respect, I suggest that this forum is more about having a go and overcoming the odds than about studying the economics (especially if we all started costing our time realistically).
Best wishes,
Steve

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 234

Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 07:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I concur with steve's comments. If we didn't take into account that we allegedly enjoy repairing these old classics then the time spent would indeed be a waste of valuable time.
Regarding the choice of a Pentax model, KM/KX are fine cameras but quite expensive as they attract collector interest. The Spotmatic is also well engineered, but stop-down metering can be a real pain. Given the choice between the mechanical models of the mid 70's I would be inclined to choose the Minolta SRT101, or better still the SRT303/ 303b/ 102 models, as the viewfinder is very bright and informative, lenses are cheap and readily available, and the metering can easily be reset for 1.5V batteries.

Zucci
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 03:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do thank you all for most informed and inspiring opinions, it has given me lots to think about and plan for. Thanks again. ‘The beginner’

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 63

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or, stock up on a few MZ-5n bodies (a/k/a XZ-5n) if you like the MZ-50. I have an MZ-3, and have a lot of respect for the user interface, although it is a "plastic wonder". If you have some decent Pentax-F or -FA lenses, these bodies are a good home for them.

Normally it's the mirror motor that fails on MZ/XZ series bodies. You have an unusual failure.

Still, the nicest K-mount Pentax has to be the MX due to the amazing (OM-1 quality) finder. Only gripe is the stiff hard-to-turn shutter speed knob.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration