Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax ME super - groundglass cleaning Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Pentax ME super - groundglass cleaning « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eugennmezei
Tinkerer
Username: Eugennmezei

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 06:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello!

I bought two Pentax ME super. One silver, the other black. The silver one has a superb view through the viewfinder. Unfortunately the black one not.
The fresnel rings are black. I suppose black gunk from the degrated mirror stopping foam was smeared to it.
Anyone knows how to remove the groundglass? If not, at least how (and with what?) to clean it inside the body.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 48

Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 09:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your fresnel screen has damage on it from the mirror box foam it would be very difficult to clean it without damage to the fresnel screen itself. In your case, it would probably be best to just replace the screen. You will have to remove the prism as the screen comes out through the top, not the mirror box...

Eugennmezei
Tinkerer
Username: Eugennmezei

Post Number: 7

Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How difficult is it to remove the prism? Any idea where to find instructions for this or maybe you could guide me if you have done this operation yourself?

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 49

Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have done many ME super repairs but I don't have the specific disassembly instructions written out, certainly they are available on line. I will give you some advice-the prism is much easier to remove after you disconnect the rewind side flex circuit and set it aside. You can then loosen the setscrew on the rewind side that holds the prism in place.

Steve_roberts
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_roberts

Post Number: 52

Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 03:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The focussing screen is plastic on these and VERY easily marked, so proceed with great care at all times! (I learned the hard way!)
Steve

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration