Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleiflex taking lens infinity adjus... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Rolleiflex taking lens infinity adjustment? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bliorg
Tinkerer
Username: Bliorg

Post Number: 27

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, all -

I'm working on a user Automat K4 right now and have noticed that the focus with the standard racked all the way in is well short of infinity. Have comfirmed this both through the viewing lens and the taking lens as checked with a ground glass on the film rails. There's no obvious damage to the standard.

Is there a way to set infinity focus on the taking lens? I'm not seeing anything obvious, and haven't done this on a Rolleiflex before.

Thanks,
Scott

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 191

Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Step 1.: ensure (DO IT) that the shutter is actually properly seated in the standard. I have put a Rolleicord together myself and would swear the shutter sits square, only focus didn't match. After taking it apart again I figured, that one of the stepped-ring shims dislocated and didn't fall into the standard's cut-out properly, effectively increasing the lens-film plane distance.

Step 2: If you are really sure your shutter sits in sure the standard, inspect the focusing knob. These (TLR) cameras have no (or very rudimentary, i.e. shims) provision for adjusting taking lens mounting depth. The actual inifnity point adjustment is done by rotating the focusing knob on its axle - the infinity stop is attached to the knob, not the focusing mechanism.

Disclaimer: I'm not sure how the infinity stop is implemented in K4, I had seen it this way in two Yashicas and Rolleicord, so YMMV.

Marek

Bliorg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 28

Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Marek! I'd never have thought to check the focusing knob for a stop, but it makes sense. Before anything, I'll check the shutter seating - I haven't removed it from the camera, but it's apparent someone else has been in this one before...

Scott

Bliorg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 29

Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 01:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, shutter's tightly in place. Now, I have the cover off the focus knob, but am not sure what to do - do I loosen the nut on the shaft and turn the knob? Also, I can turn the knob already a little further than the board travels. The board is racked in, the knob turns a little more without moving the board. Then, if you let go of the knob, it slowly rotates back to a stop position.

I'm at a loss...

Bliorg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 30

Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got it. Thanks again, Marek!

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 192

Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, was away ;)
Glad you got it!
Marek

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration