Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss Ikon Contessa 35 With Jammed Fi... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Zeiss Ikon Contessa 35 With Jammed Film Wind « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lgdavis
Tinkerer
Username: Lgdavis

Post Number: 31

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a nice Zeiss Ikon Contess 35, but the film advance knob will not turn in either direction. It did turn in the wind direction freely before I loaded a first roll of film in it. I think I did not wind the film far enough - not to a hard end, as it seemed to be turning too far. After I took the first shot, the advance would not turn - at all. Anyone have an idea? If I have to take the bottom off, it isn't clear how the advance knob comes off. It has two holes, like for a spanner, but the holes seem big for that. Don't know which way to turn it. CW would be opposite its normal winding direction. Thanks. Larry

Shacksmac
Tinkerer
Username: Shacksmac

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you sure that the sprocket holes on the film are meshing correctly with the two pronged wheels at the bottom edge of the film frame? The film MUST turn those in order to free up the whole system for shutter cocking. If you must remove the film winder you first have to unscrew the centre button which is sometimes a difficult job. Try a small rubber bung as a friction driver. If you manage it, be very careful to note the various gears and spacer-discs for the film-wind. Let us know how you get on.

Lgdavis
Tinkerer
Username: Lgdavis

Post Number: 32

Posted on Friday, November 19, 2010 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the response. It turns out the reason things are jammed up is that a link between the lower/rear end of the shutter and the wind mechanism is broken. This link frees up the advance knob after a picture is taken. I wish I had seen your post before trying to take the advance knob off, as I broke the center button - which is pressed to free the rewind operation - not a big loss. Odd that Zeiss chose to give the rewind knob button a slotted screw and no means of loosening the advance knob button. Oh, well. The broken linkage, though, I am afraid will require another junk camera or shutter to repair.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration