Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Advance lever on xg-7 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Advance lever on xg-7 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Grmpiolmn
Tinkerer
Username: Grmpiolmn

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the film advance lever on my xg-7 just moves back and forth, doesn't catch on aything. I am very new at repairing and restoring cameras. short of having it repaired can this be repaired by a novice and what is the difficulty. thanks

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 203

Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 02:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there film loaded in the camera? If yes it might have reached the end of the film without advancing a full frame or the film is stuck. In this case rewind the film and put it out of the camera. Now try if you can advance the wind lever fully to finish it's cycle. If no film is loaded try the same. Move the winding lever as if winding on until you feel resistance and try gently to wind on a little bit more. I really mean gently so not to break anything.
I have to admit I don not have an XG-7 but tried on my X-300 (370) and here the lever works as follows: When partially winding on and relasing the lever and then winding on again the lever will not catch anything until it reaches the point where I stopped winding. So one cannot wind in little short strokes but always has to go the complete way. So if the XG-7 winder also works this way it simply might not have fineshed it's travel.
Maybe it helps.
Regards
Martin

Grmpiolmn
Tinkerer
Username: Grmpiolmn

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 08:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

nofilm in the camra. lever is all the way to the post

Wayner
Tinkerer
Username: Wayner

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found this tip several years ago, perhaps on this forum. It worked for both my XG-M and XD-5. Press and hold the shutter release button, and while you're holding it down, move the film advance lever as far forward as it will go. When you release both, the film advance should work again.

Greyscale
Tinkerer
Username: Greyscale

Post Number: 20

Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 11:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If Wayner's fix doesn't work, take the bottom off of the camera. There is a slot for a screwdriver on the end of the advance lever shaft. Try turning it clockwise as far as it will go, this should allow the mechanism to "catch" and return to normal operation.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration