Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Bessa R - film position adjustment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Bessa R - film position adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 196

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 01:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I have a fully functional Bessa R with only one flaw: although film spacing is ideal, the gap between frames matches film perforation, so each cut has to go through film holes and thus creates "corners" that catch on everything, especially on edges of glassless enlarger frame.

Is there any easy adjustment for this?

By easy I mean something that can be done without dismantling whole camera and preferably without taking the top off (the RF is accurate as of now, and all other mechanics is perfect, so I'd rather live with this issue I have than create five more of them...)

TIA,
Marek

Paul_c
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_c

Post Number: 20

Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

trim the corners of the negatives?

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 199

Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I have this workaround, but it doesn't solve the problem. Nikon feeder won't feed such strips (it's already picky with proper cut ones), and glassless frames still catch on the edge if you slip just a little.

Let's put it this way: I know I can assume this non-issue and live with it. If it's an easy fix, I'd rather fix it. By easy I mean, no need to disassemble parts, that need adjustment or alignment upon reassembly. I have tools and can use them, it wouldn't be the first camera I'd work on, just the threshold of considering it "not worth the effort" is at "I need to adjust it afterwards".

Greets,
Marek

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 204

Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 02:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Marek,

I wonder what determines the positioning of the frame in regard to the perforation of the film. I'd say it's the distance between the sprocket wheel and the frame opening (sorry don't know the correct English word). Additionally the position of the sprocket wheel when the shutter is cocked. Meaning if there is a tooth of the wheel in an 90 degrees angle to the film or a gap at 90 degrees. If it's a tooth you will have the perforation hole exactly over the axis of the sprocket wheel and if the distance from there to the film opening is let's say three holes you will always have a perforation hole between frames (and vice versa).
I don't know if that makes any sense - it's just general thoughts which might as well be wrong because I have forgotten considering something else which also effects the positioning.

Assumed that the above is correct the only way solve that issue would be to change the position of the sprocket wheel around it's axle. Which might be problematic in a way that the wheel will not catch correctly when winding on.

As I said these are only thoughts that are not based on any experience in this matter and I'm really not sure if they make sense at all. But for the moment nothing else comes to my mind that determines the positioning of the frame relative to the perforation.

Maybe it helps.
Regards
Martin

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration