Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Help! How do i remove Canon QL17 G-II... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Help! How do i remove Canon QL17 G-III Lens? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fullwater
Tinkerer
Username: Fullwater

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 06:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey everyone,

Picked up a canonet ql17 recently. Theres lots of hazing in the lens that i wish to clean it out.

I have no experience on how to remove the lens. Been doing extensive reading and people have been saying to disassemble by unscrewing the black ring on the front. This might sound totally stupid but which direction do i turn??? tried turning both clockwise and anti but seem to be heavily stuck.

And i checked, no dents on the outer rim. Help please! Thanks!

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 245

Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 07:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Click on "Repair Manuals" on top of this page. May be of help.

Fullwater
Tinkerer
Username: Fullwater

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 07:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Charlie, i have tried looking at the manuals. while i cant deny that the exploded view of the parts are extremely useful, i still have not found a way to remove the front lens element.

I've only ever dismantled a yashica electro 35. I cant figure out how for this canon ql17. Appreciate some help and thanks!

Xowhiplock
Tinkerer
Username: Xowhiplock

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've goten as far as removing the small ring that holds the face plate in with a 6" dial caliper (Item #66541/Harborfreight.com), using the small blades. Once this filte ring is out, the face plate simply drops out. Using the caliper again, you can carefully remove the front lens. If you want to get the other elements out, you'll need to purchase a spanner wrench with tips that will fit between the recessed housing past the front elements mount (very small) and unscrew the ring/element housing. The front housing should lift off... but I havent' dared to go that far just yet. I have two of these cameras with loose barrels and one is being used as a "giny pig" if you will to learn how to do it right. The meters work in both cameras, so I have a spare it needed. Let me know if you want pics.

Xowhiplock
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a pic of the second element retaining ring.Canonet QL17 - Second Element Retaining Ring

Xowhiplock
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another pic.Canonet QL17 - Second Element Retaining Ring-2

Xowhiplock
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A spanner tip needs to clear the side of the silver plate and the lip of the first element's mount in order to engage the slots of the second element retaining ring (seen lower left and top right). Not the dark spot lower, top right, but above that. The notches are directly across from one another. Sorry I could not get a better pic. Resizing takes a lot out of the original.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration