Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax K1000 mirror sticking up and b... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Pentax K1000 mirror sticking up and bouncing sound « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Logandiana
Tinkerer
Username: Logandiana

Post Number: 14

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 07:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I found a pristine K1000 at a garage sale for $5. I went to test the shutter speeds starting at 1/1000th and going down and everything started out sounding and looking pretty good. Speeds 1/500, 250, 125, 60 all perfect. Starting at 1/30th the mirror goes up shutter opens and closes, mirror goes down all just as it should, but then as soon as the mirror returns back down I hear a springy bounce from the inside? Not sure what this is or if it’s normal. Next, if I keep going, 30th, 15th, 8th… Once I get to 1/8th and slower the mirror goes up shutter opens and closes, but the mirror doesn’t go back down. I recock and fire (mirror is still up at this point), shutter opens and closes, mirror stays up. Repeat, repeat... Then some times the shutter opens, closes and mirror comes back down. Fire again and it will work fine, like nothing ever happened. It’ll work fine for a few times and then not. This seems to be the same for every shutter speed starting at 1/8th and going down to 1 second. Shutter always seems to open and close correctly, but the mirror just randomly doesn’t come back down. Something seems to be causing it to hang.

Any ideas?

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 116

Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All manual Pentaxes, including the Spotmatics, go "boing, boing, boing" at 1/30th when you hear, presumably, what is a ball bearing bouncing up/down on a spring in a cylinder (at least, that is what it sounds like).

Steve_roberts
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_roberts

Post Number: 54

Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 05:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, the noise is quite normal - a characteristic rather than a fault. As for the mirror not returning, if you're lucky it's the foam at the front of the focussing screen that cushions the mirror having gone gooey. If you're not so lucky, it's the second shutter curtain not having enough oomph to release the said mirror, probably due to lubrication issues that will entail a strip down. I recently bought a Spotmatic 500 still in its box with all the original packing, bill of sale, instructions, etc and in pristine condition. The only snag is that the mirror sticks up on the 1/15th setting (and only on that setting). I've yet to investigate.
Steve

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration