Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Bessa R - Removing the top? RF Adjust... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Bessa R - Removing the top? RF Adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mdeneen
Tinkerer
Username: Mdeneen

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 12:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My almost brand new Bessa R has a way out of adjustment RF. I did attempt the adjust it with the two screws under the hot shoe. The slotted screw adjusted lateral position easily. However, the philips screw for adjusting vertical would not budge. It was frozen tight. It take such a teensy screwdriver there is simply no way to get any purchase on the screw from the access hole under the hot shoe.

So...
Is it straigtforward to get the top off? And, is there a published repair manual available?

Thanks
Mark Deneen

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 159

Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 04:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How do you know the Philips screw adjusts the vertical alignment? It could be a locking screw and may well be sealed to stop it coming loose (normal arrangement).

This has amazing similarities to the Zeiss Ikon rangefinder adjustment thread over on RFF a while back. Maybe it shouldn't be surprising though as Cosina make both cameras. If there are similarities between the rangefinder adjustment of both cameras then you've probably just damaged yours by adjusting the slotted screw without first undoing the philips locking screw.

May (or may not) help if you look at the informtion I posted on adjusting the ZI rangefinder. You can find it at http://www.monopix.co.uk/zmadjust.shtml

Would be interesting to know if the Bessa looks anything like the same.

Mdeneen
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There were several available threads on adjusting the Bessa R. They all pointed out the same two screws for adjusting. Yes, it is possible that those threads were all wrong. But there are only two access holes with screws of any kind in them. What are the odds?

Monopix
Tinkerer

Post Number: 160

Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

50/50 I guess :-)

The ZI has adjustments under the speed dial. Has anyone lifted the speed dial on the R?

Where were the threads? I didn't see them.

Mdeneen
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This was one from photonet: http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=001NhD

There were quite quite a few other posts in various places when I Googled it. None of them mentioned anything under the speed dial.

Monopix
Tinkerer

Post Number: 161

Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 04:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looking at those pictures, it's not the same as the ZI so might be OK. But personally, I wouldn't adjust anything unless I was sure about what it was doing and I don't see anything that confirms what screw does what. I'd lift the top plate and check it out.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration