Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleiflex Automat Film Advance Never... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Rolleiflex Automat Film Advance Never Stops « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Punkinhed7
Tinkerer
Username: Punkinhed7

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recent troubles with my rollei. I load the film and turn the crank to get to the first frame, but it never stops--just keeps turning until the film is all wound up on the take up spool.

This first happened with a roll of ilford fp film, but then i threw a roll of shanghai in there and everything was fine. Just now tried another roll of ilford and it happened again--could it be the film?

Any help you could give me with this would be much appreciated; it's making me ever so sad :-(

Mattboston
Tinkerer
Username: Mattboston

Post Number: 14

Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 07:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Punkinhead,

The Rollei will crank the film in and keep cranking until the thickness rollers get tripped. Once tripped, the counter goes to frame one and the winding stops. These are the two rollers on the bottom of the camera that you feed the film through when loading- one of the rollers is on a type of spring. When the film (plus the backing paper) hits the rollers they need to spread apart some, since film+paper is thicker than just the paper. This is the "auto" part of "automat." You can hear a "click" sound when the backing paper spreads this roller, triggering a spring to start the film counter. Some films and backing papers are thicker than others- this explains why one type of film works better than another. You probably need to adjust this roller and set it to trip a bit earlier.

Matt

Mattboston
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 07:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is the cam you need to adjust to correct the problem. You need to remove the side plate with the winder (not the focus knob side).

Unless, of course, someone corrects me- it has been a while since I had this camera apart, so I am a bit rusty in the memory department.

Matt

it looks like this:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/mstott/rolleiflex%20automat%20K4A/IMG_2353 -1.jpg

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 55

Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good advice on setting the film feeler rollers. I would adjust the rollers to start the counter mechanism moving when it encounters the tape that holds the film to the paper backing. That way different film and paper backing thickness will not be an issue.

Punkinhed7
Tinkerer
Username: Punkinhed7

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excuse my ignorance, but how do I adjust it? Is it a simple tightening of that screw/cam? If so, how do I know when I have it in the right spot? Thanks again for all your help

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 60

Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rollei repair shops had a special tool for adjusting that. It is called the L-1949. But maybe there are other ways.

L-1949

Mattboston
Tinkerer

Post Number: 16

Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is from memory- so forgive me if I have the details wrong.

You need to loosen the center screw, then adjust the outside part with a pair of small needle-nose pliers (in the two holes on the perimeter), then tighten the center screw and test.

To test: You take some film (without backing paper) and put a piece of masking tape in the middle an inch or so from the end. As you push the film between the rollers nothing should happen, but as it hits the tape you should spread the rollers enough to trigger the levers that switch over to frame counting. It is pretty obvious when this happens, as the tripping of the levers is pretty loud and fast.

The hard part is removing the side plate and getting it back on correctly.

Good luck,

Matt

Crispy12
Tinkerer
Username: Crispy12

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, February 08, 2013 - 06:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just adjusted my Automat's feelers. My problem was the feelers tripping too early. The bottom cover has to be on, so as to depress the reset counter and hold it down. This squeezes the rollers together, but not tight enough to trip the counter with only backing paper alone. As soon as the film passes over, it will trip the lever attached to the feeler adjustment screw as well as engage the counter at the top. Prior to engagement, the gear next to the counter should not be interlocked, only after the clunk of the lever tripping is heard should the counter engage.

I managed to loosen the feelers to fit my commonly used film (Tmax and Neopan) but it still too tight for Shanghai GP which has really thick backing paper. I gave up, it's a cheap film anyway.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration