Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm lens autofocus no... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm lens autofocus not working. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jaxmax
Tinkerer
Username: Jaxmax

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 08, 2010 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings,
I have a Nikkor 18-55mm zoom lens on which the autofocus feature has suddenly stopped working. I used it two days ago to photograph my grand daughter and everything worked fine. Now today the autofocus does not function properly (Autofocus DOES work with my 55-200mm lens). The focus barrel cycles in and out accompanied by a soft rattling sound, but it rarely settles on a focusing point. When it does think it is in focus, it clearly is not. This lens was not bumped or dropped in the time between shootings, it simply worked one day and didn't the next. I have contacted Nikon support and they took me through various steps but came to no conclusions. They want me to send it in for repairs. It would probably cost as much to fix it as it would to buy a new one.
So far:
1.I have cleaned the contacts with rubbing
alcohol and rubbed them with graphite.
2.Tried every combination of focus settings.
3. blown the lens out with compressed air.
4. Used the lens in Manual focus which is smooth but very tricky to get exact. If anyone has suggestions or experience with this type of problem, your help would be much appreciated. Thanks. PS my camera is a Nikon D50 and is four years old. Everything has functioned perfectly until now.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jaxmax
Tinkerer
Username: Jaxmax

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forgive me,
I did not read the fine print on the first page of this forum. Obviously, my post is out of the realm of this forum. My mistake. Sorry.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration