Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Polaroid Copal shutter repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Polaroid Copal shutter repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Movin
Tinkerer
Username: Movin

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 08, 2010 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I got a 4.5/105 Tominon in Polaroid labeled Copal shutter which is faulty.
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp253/Movin_photo/Verschluss.jpg
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp253/Movin_photo/Blende.jpg

The aperture works flawlessly, but the shutter mechanism different than the ones I encountered previously (I´m not very experienced with the large-format type of shutter assemblies).

As you see on the photo, the shutter seems to have only one lever (bottom left side) beside the two levers for aperture and speed setting.
The "lever cap" or the thing that normally protrudes out of shutter enclosure seems missing, and the opening for it shows signs of a break. This break only affects the enclosure, not the functioning parts, I think.

My problem is, that I don´t know how the shutter is supposed to be operated, the lever seems stuck and a cable release connected to the release socket only opens the aperture.

Does somebody of you have an idea how this is supposed to work or where I should look for possible faults?

Movin

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 56

Posted on Monday, November 08, 2010 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Copal/Polaroid shutter that you have was made to work on the MP-3 copy camera. The part of the shutter that shows the trauma in your photo is where the cable release socket used to live. This shutter only had a release socket, no external shutter release lever. The cable release socket at about 5 o'clock in your photo was not made to release the shutter, only to open the shutter blades for focus when the MP-3 camera head was in the focusing position.

Movin
Tinkerer
Username: Movin

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Bill,
that cleared things up. I thought the missing part was a shutter cocking lever.
The shutter seems to work fine, when the lever behind the release socket opening is pushed in.
I think i´m going to try to build a makeshift socket for the cable release.

Movin

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 57

Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, if you decide you don't want to spend the time constructing a socket, I have Copal Polaroid release sockets although there were two types of sockets- in is round and screwed into the housing and the other is held on with two screws. I have the type that is held on with two screws so if your style needs to be screwed into the housing, you would need to drill and tap two mounting holes. I can send you a photo if you need...
Thanks.
Bill

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration