Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Gossen Light Meter SBC Super Pilot Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Gossen Light Meter SBC Super Pilot « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David_ritchie
Tinkerer
Username: David_ritchie

Post Number: 62

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone had experience in adjusting or altering a Gossen SBC Super Pilot light meter in order to use 1.5V batteries instead of the old 1.35V batteries? Is it as simple as turning a few screws to recalibrate or does it require new resisters etc? I can make 1.5V batteries "fit" so that is no problem. This meter is much lighter and smaller than some others that I have and is is much easier to carry around. Any help would be appreciated.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 229

Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You would have to install the doiodes inside or get a converter/adaptor with diodes built in it.

You can make them as well if you do a search on the net, there are DIY instructions.

David_ritchie
Tinkerer
Username: David_ritchie

Post Number: 63

Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Paul. I am familiar with how to make a converter/adapter. The instructions have been around for a long time. As for installing diodes inside the meter I would have to find some instructions somewhere and details re: size of the diodes. Maybe too much for me. Maybe someone else could be kind enough to post this info if it is outthere. Thanks, again.

Clay
Tinkerer
Username: Clay

Post Number: 40

Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 08:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are a few links for Gossen adjustments:

http://www.graphic-fusion.com/lunapro.htm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/89868-REG/Gossen_GO_4145_Adapter_Kit_Batte ry_Holder_for.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/polapix/2609042974/

These are for the Lunapro but the circuits
should be about the same.

Best regards,

/Clay

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 230

Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't mess with the pots or internal adjsutments. You'll wind up throwing the meter in the garbage.

The diodes are the same ones you use for the converter/adaptor but you mount em inside the meter directly to the power leads.

I don't know which batteries you are using in your meter but the PX625 are the ones in my Luna Pro, yours may be the same.

OTOH.... instead of going through all this trouble how about just calibrating your film to your developing technique to your exposures? Exposures are relative to how you use the info.

Run some gray card tests, develope n make ASA adjsutments as needed to get perfect prints. Once everything is adjsuted your exposures will be consitant.

The meter doesn't have to agree with every meter in the world, it only has to render consistant pictures in your hands.

Amazing how well the rule of 16 works for many old timers that never use meters. Why?... they did alot of shooting and had lots of experiance in all situations.

Read the PDF for the diodes n alots of background on this subject here....

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/batt-adapt-us.pdf

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration