Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How to remove topcover off a Minolta ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » How to remove topcover off a Minolta XG7? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Trematode
Tinkerer
Username: Trematode

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 11:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I am playing around with a Minolta XG7. The batteries don't seem to work, and I think its likely the capacitors. The On/Off switch mechanism seems loose, so I am trying to look at this in more detail. Problem is, I can't get the topcover off. I've attached a picture. I think the problem is on the right hand side, where the film advance lever sits. I can't seem to budge anything around this area. Any ideas?

Trematode
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 11:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oops, here's a picture

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 58

Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The brass nut under the wind lever and around the wind shaft needs to be removed. It has two notches so you can use a spanner wrench to remove it.

Trematode
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cool! Finally found a tool to open that particular nut. Thanks.

Ron_g
Tinkerer
Username: Ron_g

Post Number: 52

Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I made a tool to remove those nuts by turning down a piece of 1/2" black iron pipe on my lathe and filing the small end down to create the lugs that engage the notches in the nut.It worked well but is not very durable as the iron is not sturdy enough to withstand the strain of using it and the tips break off.I may make another someday out of better stock.Ron G

Ron_g
Tinkerer
Username: Ron_g

Post Number: 53

Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I made a tool to remove those nuts by turning down a piece of 1/2" black iron pipe on my lathe and filing the small end down to create the lugs that engage the notches in the nut.It worked well but is not very durable as the iron is not sturdy enough to withstand the strain of using it and the tips break off.I may make another someday out of better stock.Ron G

Greyscale
Tinkerer
Username: Greyscale

Post Number: 24

Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The on/off switch is probably loose because you are missing the tiny ball-bearing detent that goes in the hole behind the rewind crank.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 179

Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a similar loose on/off switch. It turned out that the plastic post that the switch pivots on was actually broken. It can be seen in your photo on the left hand side with the threaded brass(?) bushing inside. I had to use a part from a donor camera to make the repair.
Greyscale is correct though...that little ball bearing can be easy to lose.

Greyscale
Tinkerer
Username: Greyscale

Post Number: 25

Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Waynemel, that is exactly the same repair that I had to make. Which is also how I learned about the ball bearing, and exactly how easy it is to lose. Luckily, I did not lose the one from the donor.

Trematode
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, November 19, 2010 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a lot folks, I got it open. The little ball/spring in the on/off switch is still there, but the plastic part it pushes onto is worn and a bit loose. However, I think the problem is in the capacitors. It intermittently works; got the camera fully up and running for 1 roll of film and then it locked up again, and there is no power going into the camera. I hear these cameras were prone to capacitor problems?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration