Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Basic olympus om-1 disassembly Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Basic olympus om-1 disassembly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Zenzaman
Tinkerer
Username: Zenzaman

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have 3 om-1s that all need minor tinkering.

one has a non-reseting frame counter, the other has non-working mirror lock-up and the third needs a re-glue of the frame counter window that has fallen somewhere inside the camera (i also fear it might get stuck in between the gears and do some more severe damage).

i now what needs to be done to remove the top cover but i can't remove the arm lever cap at either of the cameras (i've even totally messed the black trim covering the cap at one of them :-( ). i've tried the rubber method but with no success. they seem glued there (and i have reasons to belive at least on - the one with the messed trim - has in fact been glued in place as, after scratching the trim, i went to some quite barbaric methods trying to unscrew the cap). i'm all out of solutions. any advice (even some radical ones)

thanks!

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 238

Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is commom OM-1 problem. Try warming the top of the wind cover with a soldering iron tip. Use piece of aluminium foil to protect the paint surfce. The heat will melt the glue securing the thin decorator disk to the more substantial screwed retainer, exposing the larger pin holes that will permit a steadier grip with a multispan wrench. The thread is conventional RH.

Olympfix
Tinkerer
Username: Olympfix

Post Number: 36

Posted on Friday, November 19, 2010 - 04:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your non working mirror lock-up is quite a large job, involving removal of mirror box, then mirror box side(s)-screws under shutter speed dial and front face plate. It's usually a bent lever which has to be reset to correct angle. You'll have to be careful of not losing timing on meter transfer gearing (if gear operated), but not so critical if cord operated. (there were two different types).Check for meter operation first, so you can select the best one to work on. I'll be surprised if all 3 meters are working.Be careful not to lose compression spring on top left which holds the door latch closed. Frame counter is easy job- just reglue. Frame counter similar-it won't be far, hopefully!.

Zenzaman
Tinkerer
Username: Zenzaman

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, November 19, 2010 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i made a booboo :-( https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/2/20385.html?1290190809

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration