Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

FED 3a slow speed escapement help. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » FED 3a slow speed escapement help. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tobias_f
Tinkerer
Username: Tobias_f

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 22, 2010 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
I have been working on a friend's FED 3a, confident that I could sort it after having rebuilt one of the Barnack clones, and a IIIa. The escapement appeared to be sticking, or not triggering the second curtain reliably, thus, assuming it functioned like a Barnack, I cleaned it.

Now of course I have no idea how many winds it needs on its little spring, as I did not expect to find this issue at all.

Have any of you advice on reassembling the escapement, before I enter a risky trial and error stage?

Thanks,
Tobias
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

T6nn
Tinkerer
Username: T6nn

Post Number: 10

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, November 26, 2010 - 06:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The spring tension isn't that critical, it just needs to be enough to release the second curtain reliably. The speed of escapement is determined by the star wheel and pallet. You need to adjust the shorter speeds by slightly moving the escapement around. I have also adjusted the longer speeds by adding some weight to the pallet, but this is usually unnecessary.

The only critical thing with that escapement is to not alter the teething between the big "O-gear" and the gear next to it -it's time consuming to find the right position by trial and error.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration