Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleiflex Old Standard - How to Loos... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Rolleiflex Old Standard - How to Loosen Focussing Knob? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 38

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 09:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Its an Old Standard (Standard Leverwind) s/n 290578 with f3.8 lens. When it came the focussing mechanism was jamming and as I turned the knob, the four screws on the front were trying to turn. I unscrewed them and the front came off completely, revealing four rotating shafts with internal helical threads, into which four internal helical “bolts”, which screw to the front, were threaded. There are slots in these helical bolts which engage with bumps on the rear of the body front to prevent them turning.

Well it took me a while to align the four bolts so that when the front was replaced, the bumps engaged with the slots and the focussing mechanism worked freely. It also seems to have the full range of focus from infinity to 3 -4 feet.

Now the problem – the focussing scale on the knob is way out. I really don’t want to take the front off again – it’s an awful fiddle getting it back – so I need to loosen the focussing knob to turn it so that the readings are correct. There are two holes in the front of knob, but I can’t turn them in relation to the outside of the knob – is it all one piece, or a left handed thread or something?

Two alternatives – I could make a small mark at the “new” infinity position and use it for focussing. Trouble is this is slightly below centre of the knob and would be difficult to use (the focussing scale is small and difficult to read in any case). Otherwise somehow make a new focussing scale stuck to front of the knob (I can of course use the ground glass to focus, but it’s nice to have a scale).

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1116

Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's been a long time since I had an Old Standard, but I think the knob construction may be the same as the later Automats: the flat face of the focus knob is a threaded disc with a right hand thread (counter-clockwise to remove). The focus shaft and a lock nut is inside the knob, you can reposition the knob and retighten the nut.

Of course, if the Old Standard is much different, I'm full of it ... but since you see the 2 spanner holes I think it must be about the same.

John_s
Tinkerer

Post Number: 39

Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 05:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick thanks for this, I'll give it a go.

John_s
Tinkerer

Post Number: 40

Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I've not been able to shift it, after applying as much force as I dare, so I've adopted plan B and made a little scale to stick on the front of the knob - it's easier to see in any case!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration