Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Konica Auto S2 help. Not operating in... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Konica Auto S2 help. Not operating in Auto « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Zakkattack
Tinkerer
Username: Zakkattack

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,
I think I might have the answer but need some advice.
Battery test meter works in viewfinder and top meter.
Camera works in manual mode but not Auto.
Could this be some hidden corrosion on the other side of the battery compartment ?.
I've checked most threads I can find on this site.
Thanks in advance to any guru that can help.
Zakk

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 96

Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes. Remove the battery holder and check the back side for corrosion. This is a typical problem with the S2; i.e. battery test works but not the meter.

Zakkattack
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Donnie,
I'll give it a try.
Cheers...Zakk

Greyscale
Tinkerer
Username: Greyscale

Post Number: 26

Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had the same problem. Mine turned out to be the wires to the light meter cell inside the lens barrel were chafed, and the exposed wire was shorting out. I ended up removing them altogether and just using a handheld meter, at least until I can afford a CLA.

If the camera is metering, but not stepping down in auto, chances are it is caused by a weak spring in the auto mechanism, slightly sticky aperture blades, or a combination of the two.

Zakkattack
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Greyscale,
I shall pick up a multimeter tomorrow and check all the wiring. The camera is nort even metering so my guess is an open cct somewhere. I'll find out soon enough. I have a spare S2 that I use for parts so it's fingers crossed.
Thanks....Zakk

Zakkattack
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeehaa..fixed it.
Problem with the wiring behind the battery compartment.
1. Blue wire contact dirty/corroded.

Also red wire broke off, how the hell do you re-solder this stuff ?. Wire to contact just won't bind. I had to resort to scavenging the contact with some wire attached off my parts S2 and splice onto the repaired one.
All works perfectly now in auto mode. All I have to do now is check the rangefinder is accurate. I'll have to look this up, haven't got a clue how to set accurate focussing.
Thanks for all of your help so far.
Zakk

Ron_g
Tinkerer
Username: Ron_g

Post Number: 57

Posted on Friday, November 26, 2010 - 04:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is difficult to resolder those old wires.I replace the wire instead when ever it is possible.
If not you can sometimes remove enough insulation to get at the wire that has not oxidized and splice it with another wire to make your connection.Good luck.Ron G

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration