Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Agfa Karat focus jammed Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Agfa Karat focus jammed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Silversurfer
Tinkerer
Username: Silversurfer

Post Number: 21

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Folks, I have recently bought from flebay an Agfa Karat,Solinar F3.5 with compur rapid shutter.
The problem is the focus adjusment is stuck solid at 10 ft. I read somewhere that the green Agfa grease can become like glue and carefully applying a hair drier to warm the camera/lens area might get it to move, I even tried a drop of Naptha (after the hair drier was safely off/out of range!) No luck, all that happened was the front of the lens suddenly unscrewed slightly, until it hit the stop pin.
The whole lens/shutter assembly seems to rotate v v slightly back and to (as if the mounting screws are slack?)
But how to dissmantle the whole shutter/lens/focus unit off the camera? any tips gratefully welcome. Silversurfer

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 119

Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First, while it is possible to make the focus operable without disassembly, it won't be a very satisfying solution. You can try slowly dripping naptha into the helical threads from the inside, and working the focus. Might help a little, but it will never be smooth.

I had a couple of Karats apart last year. Open the film door, and unscrew the threaded collar. The whole shutter will then come off, and you can proceed to separate the inner and outer helical threaded collars, clean out the old grease, and replace with new grease.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1117

Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once you get the shutter off, Xylene is more aggressive and will probably work faster than Naphtha on that hardened grease. It's harder on paint and plastics, though.

Silversurfer
Tinkerer
Username: Silversurfer

Post Number: 22

Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys, with your advice I have removed the whole lens/shutter assembly. But didn't feel confident to dismantle any further, (looked like three tiny screws in back of shutter body) So I persevered with alternate hot air/lighter fluid. after half a dozen goes it started to free up fine. So I removed the inner lens, put the shutter on B and carefull picked the green crud from around the back of the helical. I would have been nice to have stripped the helix, but shutters are not my level of skill at moment! Everything went back ok and the shutter is firing nicely. By the way what is Xylene? is it avail. in UK?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration