Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

C. z. Jena Tessar 2.8/50 Silver Lens... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » C. z. Jena Tessar 2.8/50 Silver Lens Disassembly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mikeguyver
Tinkerer
Username: Mikeguyver

Post Number: 32

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 07:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I have a Carl Zeiss Jenna 2.8/50 silver lens that needs major cleaning. It was sitting out in the open for years-lot of dust on the lens and focusing is stiff. I have searched the web to find any information on disassembling the lens. Your input is appreciated.

Mike

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 200

Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Post a picture, it will be easier to tell which lens it is.
https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/2/18443.html
does this one seem similar?

Marek

Mikeguyver
Tinkerer

Post Number: 33

Posted on Friday, November 26, 2010 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mareklew,

Here are the photos you requested

Mike

Steve_s
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_s

Post Number: 174

Posted on Sunday, November 28, 2010 - 12:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a couple of Exakta mount Tessars which look outwardly the same as yours. Each of mine is constructed slightly differently - see pictures below: -

Tessar_manual_1Tessar_manual_2

In both cases you start by removing the outer retaining-ring at the back, and the complete optical/aperture assembly, with the focus setting spacer ring, comes out from the front.

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 201

Posted on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 02:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike, this is a different lens than what I have taken apart.
However, most are built on similar principle: you take the mount off, there is some provision for preventing the center block from rotating when focusing - either a long screw, or a pin, or...
You take that off and screw the optical block out of its focusing helix - preferably noting the angle at which it came out (helix is multi-threaded and you can mount it at an offset which will throw the focusing way off).
The optical block can usually be taken apart into main lens groups that are in front and behind the aperture.

In some lenses (i.e. Jupiter 8) the optical block sits in an outer tubus and first that tubus meshes with focusing helical. You can take the optics out without disassembling focusing.

In the first variant, the manufacturing tollerances are often adjusted at the focusing ring (the infinity stop and scale are moved). In the second case the optical block is shimmed.

Marek

Mikeguyver
Tinkerer

Post Number: 34

Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 05:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have partially disassembled the lens (left the aperture alone). Cleaned and lubed the helix and reassembled the lens. The reassembly took several tries due to focusing helix offset (each time checking the lens at infinity focus till I got it right). Next time to make the reassembly easier I will make a scratch mark on the two helix parts (with the inner ring flush with the outer ring). Now that I have the lens reassembled and mounted on my DSLR (for testing). Focusing is much better but still on the stiff side. The thread on the focusing helix are fine. I used a lubricant that was a little too thick (works better on coarser helix thread). Any suggestion on what lubricant to use on this lens?

Mike

Prasanna
Tinkerer
Username: Prasanna

Post Number: 60

Posted on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 07:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike, the suggestion on the appropriate lubricant is a bit difficult. Most people would recommend All Purpose Grade 3 grease. It is the same as the Front End Bearing grease for cars. I use the same. However, I have found that in some old lenses this grade AP3 makes it too smooth; the lens keeps shifting position. It is better to try out different grades and arrive at a suitable one.

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 173

Posted on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 07:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use this for most lenses. There is a thicker version if you prefer it.

http://www.micro-tools.de/en/Greases-Oils/Grease-Helical-10-Light-8ml.html

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration