Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Hi-Matic AF2 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta Hi-Matic AF2 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just got this camera yesterday from a friend, and I have one question about the operation of it, and another about a failure.

1) When depressing the shutter release half way, if the focus is out-of-range, the camera will beep-beep-beep and a little blinking light comes on in the viewfinder indicating which way it is O-O-R. Then when the shutter button is fully depressed, the camera is supposed to focus then release the shutter. What I can't tell is if this is happening in the right sequence, and question why the lens doesn't focus when doing the half-depressed shutter release, instead of at full depression. Any thoughts or knowledge?

2) Everything appears to work on this camera, but the flash will not trigger. The green 'charged' indicator light comes on, but nothing happens when the shutter is released. Do the flash tubes on these models have a habit of burning out? Is there a problematic switch that fails regularly, or contacts not making? I've had the top and bottom off, but could not see anything physically wrong. The warning light and beep for the flash also work properly.

Thanks in advance.

PF

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 41

Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This forum is generally for older style mechanical cameras, and it's unlikely anyone will be able to help with your problem. Best plan is to put a film through it and see if it's working. If not get another one, these film compacts are very common and cheap in charity/thrift shops etc.

I wouldn't attempt to do anything with the flash system, once I bought a similar camera from a car boot sale and tried to fix the flash, resulting in the worst electric shock I've ever had - which was somewhat humiliating after a long (and safe)operational career in the electricity supply industry.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 07:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh boy, do I know about the capacitors! I've been repairing equipment for a long time (not particularly cameras), and have seen what those little buggers can do. But I just work on cameras now out of boredom, and sometimes neccessity. It's fun in a way.

Anyway, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask, as this is not much different than a regular HiMatic, just add autofocus and a built in flash. So if there is anyone out there with experience working on this model, or similar, let me know what you can.

I'll try to limit my queries to 'older style mechanical' cameras in the future.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration