Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Agfa Isolette II Shutter Removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Agfa Isolette II Shutter Removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 181

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have started the job of replacing the bellows on my Isolette II, but have run into a snag.
I have tried to remove the shutter assembly by removing the retaining nut on the back, but it will not turn completely. It starts to loosen at first, but after about 2 turns is tightens right up. Is there a trick to this? Have the threads got some laquer or other locker on them (the camera is in original condition). I am afraid to apply too much force and possibly damage the threads.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 64

Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 05:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's not a normal situation. The retaining ring which fixes the shutter/lens to the lensplate should come of without a hitch. Turn normally CounterClockWise.
Only thing i can imagine is that the thread was damaged during an earlier service.
Maybe apply some MICROdrops of WD-40 (i.e. with a needle, NOT SPRAY) between the ring and the shutterbarrel and try to keep the ring as straigth as possible while removing.

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 190

Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 06:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It certainly sounds as if someone cross-threaded the ring at some time in the past. Are you attempting to remove it while the camera is still intact? If so, it will be easier to cut the lens assmbly free first, since you are replacing the bellows anyway.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 182

Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 06:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I didn't think this was normal. If it has been cross threaded, it happened at the factory, because the camera looks completely untouched.
I will try some lubrication and work the threads carefully. I may have to cut away the old bellows to make it easier.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 183

Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 08:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The lubrication worked. I had to work the nut back and forth, but it came off fairly easily. There was some grit or metal shavings in the threads.
Now, top removal...is the screw in the film advance knob a right or left hand thread?

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 209

Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

have a look here:
http://www.rolandandcaroline.co.uk/topplate.html

Text says "The screw on top of the winder (fig. 3) has a reverse thread."

Hope it helps.
Fine site on Isolettes BTW - including bellows replacement.

Rgds
Martin

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 65

Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wayne, that screw should be turned Clockwise to remove.

I have made several sets of repair jobs on the Isolette. You can find that collection here :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29504544@N08/collections/72157613557854284/

Vinzenz
Tinkerer
Username: Vinzenz

Post Number: 47

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know where to buy new (leather) bellows for the Isolette at a reasonable price?
Is there a good address for thin leather sheets to produce bellows? I also have a couple of old wooden cameras with broken bellows.

Thanks
Vinzenz

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 05:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try this site for leather.
http://www.columbiaorgan.com/col/

Jab101
Tinkerer
Username: Jab101

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 09:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try these 2 as well

http://www.rolandandcaroline.co.uk/html/isolette_bellows.html

http://www.sandehalynch.com/isolette.htm

Sandeha_lynch
Tinkerer
Username: Sandeha_lynch

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the plug.

I am still making bellows for Isolettes. Not leather though. I've never found any leather thin enough that is also 100% lightproof - lightproof to a flashgun, that is. I use a thin coated woven lightproof fabric with a coloured acetate for the outer layer.

http://www.sandehalynch.com/isolette.htm

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used a woven nylon fabric with a rubberized backing. I used 3 layers to make sure it was light proof, but I don't think it is completely. When held up to a very bright light source (halogen lamp) I can still see a reddish tint. The three layers also makes it a little thicker than I would like.
I have since thought of a different method. I would use two layers of the fabric and put a layer of light proof plastic (from photo paper packaging) in between. That would also result in a thinner result.
I will try my first bellows to see how it works.
I also discovered an interesting material for the stiffening ribs. I used an overhead transparency. I had ones that could be run through and ink-jet printer, so I printed the rib pattern and cut it out. It's thin enough, but also very stiff.
Isollette

Sandeha_lynch
Tinkerer
Username: Sandeha_lynch

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also use an inkjet print-out on transparency sheets for the ribs for small bellows. It works very well.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration