Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zorki 4K rangefinder lever stiff Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Zorki 4K rangefinder lever stiff « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Zakkattack
Tinkerer
Username: Zakkattack

Post Number: 12

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Zorki 4 however the lever that touches the back of the lens and adjusts the rangefinder mirror is very stiff, won't even move out. Is this common, any suggestions before I remove the top ? .
Thanks
Zakk

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 205

Posted on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, it should actually move quite freely, with rather strong spring action.
I'm afraid most likely the grease gummed up in the sleeve bearings and between the lever of RF and baseplate. Don't force it - the lever action is enorm, so you can exert huge torque in effect, but the lever isn't bulit strong enough to withstand it - the lever action is there to reduce movement, not increase force...

Take the top off and investigate. There are notes about it from Rick Oleson somewhere here (I believe they were form him, most good notes are actually). One sure thing: remember to set X-sync to X before losening screws, so that you know, where the contact was left before lifting top off, else you will have to re-set Xsync from scratch.

Marek

Mareklew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 206

Posted on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BTW: If you need, I have a perfectly working Zorki 4, which I overhauled myself, for sale or trade. Shutter keeps all speeds within reasonable tolerance and runs uniform across frame. No spacing problems, accurate RF adjustment with provided Jupiter 8 (I have no other RF coupled lenses I'd trust at hand right now), very good cosmetic condition, no signs of abuse. Comes with a worn down never-ready-case.

BTW#2: If you need a spare rangefinder movement, I also have one complete factory-new assembly, but I'm almost more reluctant to part with it than with the camera it fits.

PM me if interested. I'm in Germany, so shipping to UK is still reasonable ;)

Marek

Zakkattack
Tinkerer
Username: Zakkattack

Post Number: 18

Posted on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 05:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have traced the fault to the pivot that holds the aperture / RF arm. This pivot goes from inside the shutter box, up through the top part of the body to the RF. It is totally seized up. I have removed it, tried soaking in naptha but nothing. Guess I'll have to find a junker for spares.

Mareklew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 212

Posted on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try carburetor cleaner, just keep it out of the optics, especially the split-prism. Also, soak in naphta is more like 12-hour job just in case you gave up after an hour or so...
Best is doing it in an ultrasonic cleaner, again - keep the cemented prism out of the solution

Marek

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration